Erika

Default VLookup Errors

I am doing a VLookup from one sheet to another matching up rep codes -
everything is formatted as General. Our rep codes are either 2 numbers or 2
letters. The letters are working great but rep codes that are numbers return
as N/A.

Any idea how to fix that without changing the formatting?
Rob

Erika,

I'm guessing that vookup isn't sorted numerically and therefore you'll need
to use FALSE as the 3rd argument of Vlookup eg. =VLOOKUP(A1,A1:B100,2,FALSE)

HTH Rob

"Erika" wrote in message
I am doing a VLookup from one sheet to another matching up rep codes -
everything is formatted as General. Our rep codes are either 2 numbers or
2
letters. The letters are working great but rep codes that are numbers
return
as N/A.

Any idea how to fix that without changing the formatting?

Erika

Rob,

Here is my formula looks like

=VLOOKUP(A5,Dailyfile!$A$1:$D$323,4,FALSE)

Is that correct?

"Erika" wrote in message
I am doing a VLookup from one sheet to another matching up rep codes -
everything is formatted as General. Our rep codes are either 2 numbers or
2
letters. The letters are working great but rep codes that are numbers
return
as N/A.

Any idea how to fix that without changing the formatting?

Rob

Erika,
That formula looks correct and should work regardless of whether number of
text. If it isn't working, are the numbers in the range to lookup actually
numbers i.e. could they have been imported an are in fact text but look like
a number?

Rob

"Erika" wrote in message
I am doing a VLookup from one sheet to another matching up rep codes -
everything is formatted as General. Our rep codes are either 2 numbers
or
2
letters. The letters are working great but rep codes that are numbers
return
as N/A.

Any idea how to fix that without changing the formatting?

PC

Formula looks correct. However the problem may be that the rep codes are
text in either the source or the lookup table. If both are not identical
(either text or numbers) then you will get an error.

To convert all of the numbers entered as text to numbers

Place 1 in a blank cell

Select that cell and select Edit/Copy
Select the range of cells you need to convert and select Edit/Paste Special
and select the "Multiply" option

HTH

PC