Junior Member

Unhappy Easy question (I think) (dependent cells)

I have a worksheet with many columns and totals for each column.

As I add new data rows within the worksheet, the "Total" cells move down.

I have a section at the bottom of the worksheet that takes the Totals (above)
and adds, subtracts them in order to get a reconciling amount to compare
to my cash account.

I cannot get these dependent cells (using the totals from above)
to capture the MOVING total cells. I've tried (for ex) $K104, but when it moves to K125, the dependent cell stays at K104. I don't find anything in a 1200 page manual that shows me how to capture a moving cell total.

Help? (I'm not very experienced, need I say?)
Junior Member

total your spread sheet at the top row, and set your totaling cells to total sum=A1:A10000 this will allow your sum to be totaled up to 10000 rows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Jackson View Post
I have a worksheet with many columns and totals for each column.

As I add new data rows within the worksheet, the "Total" cells move down.

I have a section at the bottom of the worksheet that takes the Totals (above)
and adds, subtracts them in order to get a reconciling amount to compare
to my cash account.

I cannot get these dependent cells (using the totals from above)
to capture the MOVING total cells. I've tried (for ex) $K104, but when it moves to K125, the dependent cell stays at K104. I don't find anything in a 1200 page manual that shows me how to capture a moving cell total.

Help? (I'm not very experienced, need I say?)
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly Jackson View Post
I have a worksheet with many columns and totals for each column.

As I add new data rows within the worksheet, the "Total" cells move down.

I have a section at the bottom of the worksheet that takes the Totals (above)
and adds, subtracts them in order to get a reconciling amount to compare
to my cash account.

I cannot get these dependent cells (using the totals from above)
to capture the MOVING total cells. I've tried (for ex) $K104, but when it moves to K125, the dependent cell stays at K104. I don't find anything in a 1200 page manual that shows me how to capture a moving cell total.

Help? (I'm not very experienced, need I say?)
Let's say that you want to TOTAL your column B and you have your TOTAL calculation at the end of your table in column B:

If you don't have a column header:
=SUM(OFFSET(B1,0,0,ROW()-ROW(B1),1))

If you have a column header:
=SUM(OFFSET(B2,0,0,ROW()-ROW(B2),1))