Member

Default Vlookups and wildcards?

I am trying to use a vlookup to lookup a value. Where the value I am looking up is say abcd but on my table it would be abc*. I can truncate abcd to abc and it will find it if I remove the *s from my table. However not every value on my table has an *. Is there a simple way to do this? I don't want to use true as I don't want an approximate match.
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
I am trying to use a vlookup to lookup a value. Where the value I am looking up is say abcd but on my table it would be abc*. I can truncate abcd to abc and it will find it if I remove the *s from my table. However not every value on my table has an *. Is there a simple way to do this? I don't want to use true as I don't want an approximate match.
could you attach a sample workbook here as a zip file?
__________________
Asobi Wa Owari Da
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchew View Post
could you attach a sample workbook here as a zip file?
Here is a sample
Attached Files
File Type: zip Sample.zip (6.1 KB, 99 views)
Senior Member

Location: Philippines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H View Post
Here is a sample
Try:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A11,3),Table2,2,FALSE),VLOOK UP(LEFT(A11,3)&"*",Table2,2,0))
Asobi Wa Owari Da
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedchew View Post
Try:

=IFERROR(VLOOKUP(LEFT(A11,3),Table2,2,FALSE),VLOOK UP(LEFT(A11,3)&"*",Table2,2,0))
That only works for the ones that do have a wildcard on the table, but it doesn't work for the ones that don't use the wildcard.

Thanks