amspalinger

Default How do I insert a symbol BEFORE text for multiple cells in Excel?

I'm trying to enter the same information into multiple cells that are already
filled - how can I do this in Excel??

Example -

12345
654321
78946
456798

I need to insert "3-" before each of the digits in these cells - There are
over 1000, that's why I don't want to do it manually. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Duke Carey

On a copy of your file:

1) Temporarily insert a column adjacent to these cells
2) in the new column type (replace B2 with the address of the adjacent cell)
="3-"&B2
3) copy down through all 1000 cells
4) select all these new formulas
5) EditCopy
6) Select the original cells
7) EditPaste SpecialValues
8) Delete the temporary column

"amspalinger" wrote:

I'm trying to enter the same information into multiple cells that are already
filled - how can I do this in Excel??

Example -

12345
654321
78946
456798

I need to insert "3-" before each of the digits in these cells - There are
over 1000, that's why I don't want to do it manually. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Alok

if the numbers are in say column A, then insert a column B
in B1 enter the following formula

="3-" & A1

Copy the forumula down from B1 to the last row as necessary.
Then highlight column B and copy the column. Select A1 and Edit/Paste
Special/Values. Then delete Column B.

Alok Joshi

"amspalinger" wrote:

I'm trying to enter the same information into multiple cells that are already
filled - how can I do this in Excel??

Example -

12345
654321
78946
456798

I need to insert "3-" before each of the digits in these cells - There are
over 1000, that's why I don't want to do it manually. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Alok

Assuming that your numbers are lying in Column A
Do the following
1. Insert a column B
2. enter the following formula in B1
="3-" & A1
3. Copy the formula to other rows as needed.
4. Copy column B and click on A1 and then Edit/Paste Special/Values.
5. Delete the column B.

Alok Joshi

"amspalinger" wrote:

I'm trying to enter the same information into multiple cells that are already
filled - how can I do this in Excel??

Example -

12345
654321
78946
456798

I need to insert "3-" before each of the digits in these cells - There are
over 1000, that's why I don't want to do it manually. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Peo Sjoblom

If you meant 3 before the values and not each digit you can use a help column

=3&A1

copy down as long as needed, copy and paste special as values

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"amspalinger" wrote:

I'm trying to enter the same information into multiple cells that are already
filled - how can I do this in Excel??

Example -

12345
654321
78946
456798

I need to insert "3-" before each of the digits in these cells - There are
over 1000, that's why I don't want to do it manually. Any help would be
greatly appreciated!

Gord Dibben

Manual method by formula in an adjacent column.

="3-" & A1 entered in B1

Double-click on fill handle of B1 to auto-fill down.

When happy with results, copy column B and in place EditPaste
SpecialValuesOKEsc.

Delete column A.

Macro method in place on selected range............

Sub Add_Text_Left()
Dim Cell As Range
Dim moretext As String
Dim thisrng As Range
On Error GoTo endit
Set thisrng = Range(ActiveCell.Address & "," & Selection.Address) _
.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
moretext = InputBox("Enter your Text")
For Each Cell In thisrng
Cell.Value = moretext & Cell.Value