Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Averaging a column that contains text

On my worksheet I have a column of12 cells that I need to average.
Unfortunately cell B6 contains text (see below). As shown the dreaded #DIV/0!
displays in cell B13 until any rates are inputted into the column. After
inputting the first rate the formula works great. Im using the formula;
=AVERAGE(B1:B12). Is there another formula I could use that will not display
the #DIV/0! in cell B13 ? Im using Excel 2007.
A B
1
2
3
4
5
6 Name
7
8
9
10
11
12
13 #DIV/0!
Thank you,
Malcolm

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm using Excel 2007.

Try one of these...

This will work in Excel 2007 and later:

=IFERROR(AVERAGE(B1:B12),"")

This will work in any version:

=IF(COUNT(B1:B12),AVERAGE(B1:B12),"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Malcolm" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jacob, Hi,
Your MVP status is well deserved. Your solution worked perfectly and allowed
me to clean up not only my initial problem, but some other averaging
problems in my workbook.

Many thanks,
Malcolm