Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Two Level Search

When you have multiple criteria use SUMPRODUCT()

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=criteria1)*(B1:B10=criteria2), E1:E10)

If you are using Excel 2007 you can use SUMIFS() to acheive the same result
=SUMIFS(E1:E10,A1:A10,criteria1,B1:B10,criteria2)

'or with cells F1 and F2 holding the criteria
=SUMIFS(E1:E10,A1:A10,F1,B1:B10,F2)

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"burtlake" wrote:

I have simplified the example ----- I would like to search the table shown
below and determine the amount Pledge by each family. However since there
are last names that are the same, a simple vlookup does not work. For
example, I must define my search so I get Bill Johnson, not Frank Johnson.
For the example, I would like the search result to appear in the column
labeled "Search Result".

Fund Raiser Invitations and Followup

Roberts 22-May Y/N

Invited Attended Pledged (amount) Search Result

Smith Bill Marla N 1000
Smith Jon Sue N 12500
Johnson Bill Carla N 550
Johnson Frank Norma Y 4000