Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF on a range of cells

Hello Everybody,
I am working in Excel 2003 with two lists, dates and prices in columns A and
B respectively.
I am trying to use IF worksheet function to find if any prices in the prices
column match a certain figure (say $24), if a match is found I want to
return a corresponding date from the adjacent column, i.e. column A.

For example, if I am searching for $24 in prices list and it is found in B37
then I want to return the date from A37.

Is it possible? If yes then how? Despite my years of extensive experience
with Excel, I haven't been able to figure that out.

Thank you,
--
Syed Zeeshan Haider

Posted to microsoft.public.excel,microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Syed

With 24 in A1 ant the list in sheet Prices starting in row 1, match returns
the row number where 24 is found:

=MATCH(A1,Prices!B1:B999,0)

you want to go that many rows down the A column, which is done with index

=INDEX(Prices!A1:A999,MATCH(A1,Prices!B1:B999,0))

HTH. Best wishes Harald

"Syed Zeeshan Haider" wrote in message
Hello Everybody,
I am working in Excel 2003 with two lists, dates and prices in columns A
and
B respectively.
I am trying to use IF worksheet function to find if any prices in the
prices
column match a certain figure (say $24), if a match is found I want to
return a corresponding date from the adjacent column, i.e. column A.

For example, if I am searching for $24 in prices list and it is found in
B37
then I want to return the date from A37.

Is it possible? If yes then how? Despite my years of extensive experience
with Excel, I haven't been able to figure that out.

Thank you,
--
Syed Zeeshan Haider

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions,microsoft.public.excel

If you want to mention the value in formula itself then use the below
formula:-
=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(24,B:B,0))

If you want to set the C1 (24) as input cell then use the below formula:-
=INDEX(A:A,MATCH(C1,B:B,0))

(Ms-Exl-Learner)

.