Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Sumproduct seems off... HELP PLEASE!

WinXPPro SP3, Excel 2k

OK so I'm using sumprod and something just doesn't seem right. Col B should
clearly have a higher weighted average than Col C. Can anyone see what's
wrong, or should I just pack up and go home for the day! :-)

29.00% 5 3.3
71.00% 5 4
WA: 1.45 3.80

Col B formula: SUMPRODUCT(B1:B2,$A$1:$A$2)
Col C formula: SUMPRODUCT(C1:C2,$A$1:$A$2)

--
Hile
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your column B formula returned 5 when I tried it (which is what I would
expect). I get the 1.45 result you show if my formula is
=SUMPRODUCT(B1:B1,$A$1:$A$1)

Is that the problem?

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"Hile" wrote:

WinXPPro SP3, Excel 2k

OK so I'm using sumprod and something just doesn't seem right. Col B should
clearly have a higher weighted average than Col C. Can anyone see what's
wrong, or should I just pack up and go home for the day! :-)

29.00% 5 3.3
71.00% 5 4
WA: 1.45 3.80

Col B formula: SUMPRODUCT(B1:B2,$A$1:$A$2)
Col C formula: SUMPRODUCT(C1:C2,$A$1:$A$2)

--
Hile

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

no and it's one of the first things i checked. all values are included, i
even did it on a new workbook and am still getting the same results. i also
have that sumprod calculation with lots of other cell ranges throughout that
sheet and it's working fine for those values. it's weird.
--
Hile

"Hile" wrote:

WinXPPro SP3, Excel 2k

OK so I'm using sumprod and something just doesn't seem right. Col B should
clearly have a higher weighted average than Col C. Can anyone see what's
wrong, or should I just pack up and go home for the day! :-)

29.00% 5 3.3
71.00% 5 4
WA: 1.45 3.80

Col B formula: SUMPRODUCT(B1:B2,$A$1:$A$2)
Col C formula: SUMPRODUCT(C1:C2,$A$1:$A$2)

--
Hile

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Nevermind, since you told me you got the answer with only one of the values
and I knew that the formula included both, I reformatted the cells containing
those values to the 'number' format. That did the trick.

I thought the cells were formatted properly since I did that when I first
started the doc, but I guess something happened in between. Thanks for the
tip!

--
Hile