Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Flo Flo is offline

Default Need help with CountIF function

Hello,

Please help. I have a columne A with department codes A, B, C, ... the
department codes are multiple lines, column B with numbers when there are
activity in that department. Can I do a countif function or other function
to summerize how many activity each department?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

To count how many times there is activity for dept A:
=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A100="A"),--(ISNUMBER(B2:B100))

To sum the numbers in column B associated with dept A:
=SUMIF(A:A,"A",B:B)

--
Best Regards,

Luke M
"Flo" wrote in message
Hello,

Please help. I have a columne A with department codes A, B, C, ... the
department codes are multiple lines, column B with numbers when there are
activity in that department. Can I do a countif function or other
function
to summerize how many activity each department?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Create a pivot table. Drag department code to the row area and numbers
column to the data area

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com