Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Colour code specific name if it appears in a group of names

I want to be able to colour code the name of jo bloggs when his name apprears
in a cell that has many names. I have been able to colour code a range of
cells with a few names but I have a list to 200 names that I need to check
against the same listing of names.

I used conditional format but need to be able to apply this to a large of
names against a set of data that holds many names.

Wendy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Wendy

If you want to color the names in ColA if they belong to the subset of names
in ColB; try the below formula

1. Select the cell/Range (say A1:A100). Please note that the cell reference
A1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection
2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=COUNTIF($B$1:$B$10,A1)
4. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

PS: If you are using XL2007 Goto Home tabStylesConditional
FormattingManage rulesNew ruleUse a formula to determine which cells to
format. Enter the formula in the box below.

Col A Col B
Name1 Name4
Name2 Name6
Name3
Name4
Name5
Name6
Name7
Name8
Name9
Name10
Name11
Name12

--
Jacob (MVP - Excel)

"Wendy" wrote:

I want to be able to colour code the name of jo bloggs when his name apprears
in a cell that has many names. I have been able to colour code a range of
cells with a few names but I have a list to 200 names that I need to check
against the same listing of names.

I used conditional format but need to be able to apply this to a large of
names against a set of data that holds many names.

Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Let's say the names are in A3:A50. The names which you want to colour are
in B5:B500. While on cell B3, go to Home Styles Conditional formatting
New Rule Use a formula to determine which cells to format and in the

box, there, type the following formula

B3=vlookup(B3,A$3:A$50,1,0). Select the desired format and click on OK

To copy and paste conditional formatting, copy cell A3, Edit Paste Special
Formats

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Wendy" wrote in message
I want to be able to colour code the name of jo bloggs when his name
apprears
in a cell that has many names. I have been able to colour code a range of
cells with a few names but I have a list to 200 names that I need to check
against the same listing of names.

I used conditional format but need to be able to apply this to a large of
names against a set of data that holds many names.

Wendy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thankyou

If the list I am checking has a more than one name in the same cell, , and I
want to check against if the name appears in the list - how can I do that?
--
Wendy

"Wendy" wrote in message
I want to be able to colour code the name of jo bloggs when his name
apprears
in a cell that has many names. I have been able to colour code a range of
cells with a few names but I have a list to 200 names that I need to check
against the same listing of names.

I used conditional format but need to be able to apply this to a large of
names against a set of data that holds many names.

Wendy

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Have a look in the below links for highlighting the duplicate values using
Conditional Formatting.

http://www.contextures.com/xlcondformat03.html

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Wendy" wrote in message
I want to be able to colour code the name of jo bloggs when his name
apprears
in a cell that has many names. I have been able to colour code a range of
cells with a few names but I have a list to 200 names that I need to check
against the same listing of names.

I used conditional format but need to be able to apply this to a large of
names against a set of data that holds many names.

Wendy

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
Kindly clarify. With respect to my response, which list has more than one
name - A3;A50 or B3:B500?

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com