Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default formula for month that is prior to actual

I saw a question with this title on here and it's exactly what I want... but
the answer is too technical for me and I'm wondering if someone can simplify
it. Here's my problem:

Each month, my people fill in a claim for what they did last month. On top,
I have a cell that lists today's date with the formula =TODAY(). In the body
of the report, I need to list that the report is for the previous month/year.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Bonnie
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The month previous to Today is:
=date(year(today()),month(today())-1,day(today()))

See if that does what you want.

Regards,
Fred

"GoBonnieGo" wrote in message
I saw a question with this title on here and it's exactly what I want...
but
the answer is too technical for me and I'm wondering if someone can
simplify
it. Here's my problem:

Each month, my people fill in a claim for what they did last month. On
top,
I have a cell that lists today's date with the formula =TODAY(). In the
body
of the report, I need to list that the report is for the previous
month/year.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It is not clear to me exactly what you need your to display. Perhaps you can
make use of this formula (where I have assumed your date is in A1)...

="Report Period:"&TEXT(A1-DAY(A1), "mmmm")

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"GoBonnieGo" wrote in message
I saw a question with this title on here and it's exactly what I want...
but
the answer is too technical for me and I'm wondering if someone can
simplify
it. Here's my problem:

Each month, my people fill in a claim for what they did last month. On
top,
I have a cell that lists today's date with the formula =TODAY(). In the
body
of the report, I need to list that the report is for the previous
month/year.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

GoBonnieGo wrote:
I saw a question with this title on here and it's exactly what I want... but
the answer is too technical for me and I'm wondering if someone can simplify
it. Here's my problem:

Each month, my people fill in a claim for what they did last month. On top,
I have a cell that lists today's date with the formula =TODAY(). In the body
of the report, I need to list that the report is for the previous month/year.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Bonnie

=TEXT(TODAY()-DAY(TODAY()),"mmmm")&" "&YEAR(TODAY()-DAY(TODAY()))
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here are a couple of formulas that will return the month & year for the
previous month from the date in A1:
=TEXT(IF(DAY(A1)<15,A1-20,A1-40),"mmmm yyyy")
=TEXT(EOMONTH(A1,-1),"mmmm yyyy")

You could use either of these like this:
="Reporting period is: " & TEXT(IF(DAY(A1)<15,A1-20,A1-40),"mmmm yyyy")

Three mmm's gives the 3-letter short form of the month name (Jan, Feb, etc.)

Hope this helps,

Hutch

"GoBonnieGo" wrote:

I saw a question with this title on here and it's exactly what I want... but
the answer is too technical for me and I'm wondering if someone can simplify
it. Here's my problem:

Each month, my people fill in a claim for what they did last month. On top,
I have a cell that lists today's date with the formula =TODAY(). In the body
of the report, I need to list that the report is for the previous month/year.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have a cell that lists today's date with the
formula =TODAY().

Let's assume that cell is A1.

Try this for a TEXT result...

=TEXT(A1-DAY(A1),"mmm yyyy")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"GoBonnieGo" wrote in message
I saw a question with this title on here and it's exactly what I want...
but
the answer is too technical for me and I'm wondering if someone can
simplify
it. Here's my problem:

Each month, my people fill in a claim for what they did last month. On
top,
I have a cell that lists today's date with the formula =TODAY(). In the
body
of the report, I need to list that the report is for the previous
month/year.

Can you help?

Thanks,
Bonnie

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On May 4, 9:28�pm, GoBonnieGo
wrote:
I saw a question with this title on here and it's exactly what I want... but
the answer is too technical for me and I'm wondering if someone can simplify
it. �Here's my problem:

Each month, my people fill in a claim for what they did last month. �On top,
I have a cell that lists today's date with the formula =TODAY(). �In the body
of the report, I need to list that the report is for the previous month/year.

=TEXT(EDATE(TODAY(),-1),"mmm yyyy")

EDATE() returns the date the number of months in the second parameter
before (negative) or after(positive) the date in the first parameter.

TEXT() returns the value specified in the first parameter, as text
formatted as the second parameter. If you want the month's name in
full use "mmmm yyyy".

Alan Lloyd