Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Count If.....help

I am trying to sum the amount of time two words "high" and "very high" appear
in a col....I can get this to work for one word but when i try and nest the
statement it doest work - Why and how to i solve it.

=COUNTIF('(R2) Risks Log'!L9:L99,"Very High",CountIF(Risks
Log'!L9:L99,"High"))

thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

First, your question is ambiguous. Are you tring to count the number of
times a cell's contents - as a whole - is either "High" or "Very High"? Or
are you looking to count how many times the a) word or b) phrase appears
within other cell contents?

Second, COUNTIF() doesn't work the way you've tried to use it.

Since you're are using COUNTIF, let's assume the cells contain only High or
Very High. Just add two COUNTIF()s together

"Scott_goddard" wrote:

I am trying to sum the amount of time two words "high" and "very high" appear
in a col....I can get this to work for one word but when i try and nest the
statement it doest work - Why and how to i solve it.

=COUNTIF('(R2) Risks Log'!L9:L99,"Very High",CountIF(Risks
Log'!L9:L99,"High"))

thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Didnt even think of doing this - very simple. thanks.

"Don Guillett" wrote:

try using a wildcard

=COUNTIF('(R2) Risks Log'!L9:L99,"*High")

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Scott_goddard" wrote in message
I am trying to sum the amount of time two words "high" and "very high"
appear
in a col....I can get this to work for one word but when i try and nest
the
statement it doest work - Why and how to i solve it.

=COUNTIF('(R2) Risks Log'!L9:L99,"Very High",CountIF(Risks
Log'!L9:L99,"High"))

thanks.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Sorry - i am trying to count the amount of time in a col the words "high and
"very high" appear. You formula works great - can you tell me why count IF
doesnt work like thay? and what should i have used?