Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Drop Downs and lookups from other sheets

I have a workbook where the front sheet is a display page and the three
sheets behind are reserved for data tables. What I want to do is have one
cell in the front page which is a drop down and selects names from one of the
tables on the other sheets. From there I can use Vlookup to populate the
info from the tables on the front page based on that name. The problem is I
can't seem to get this list of names from another sheet. Every time I try, I
get an error. How would I do this? thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,.

first insert a name for your list in the other sheet, go to insert, name,
for example use "mylist", choose the range in the other sheet then go to data
validation, in the allow field enter List, source enter

=mylist

"TheDrescher" wrote:

I have a workbook where the front sheet is a display page and the three
sheets behind are reserved for data tables. What I want to do is have one
cell in the front page which is a drop down and selects names from one of the
tables on the other sheets. From there I can use Vlookup to populate the
info from the tables on the front page based on that name. The problem is I
can't seem to get this list of names from another sheet. Every time I try, I
get an error. How would I do this? thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Are you using data validation to give you the drop-down of names? You
will need something like this, assuming the drop-down is in A1 and
your sought-value is in B1:

=VLOOKUP(B1,INDIRECT(A1),2,0)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Apr 19, 3:17*pm, TheDrescher
wrote:
I have a workbook where the front sheet is a display page and the three
sheets behind are reserved for data tables. *What I want to do is have one
cell in the front page which is a drop down and selects names from one of the
tables on the other sheets. *From there I can use Vlookup to populate the
info from the tables on the front page based on that name. *The problem is I
can't seem to get this list of names from another sheet. *Every time I try, I
get an error. *How would I do this? *thanks!

Creating drop downs in a cell contingent on another drop down Keeprogoal[_2_] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 March 24th 09 04:37 PM
Drop downs JOHN New Users to Excel 2 February 25th 09 01:30 AM
linking sheets that have drop downs never Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 0 July 28th 08 07:49 PM
drop downs Mick Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 May 11th 08 05:16 PM
Cross-referenced drop-down menu (nested drop-downs?) creativeops Excel Worksheet Functions 4 November 22nd 05 05:41 PM