dan

Default Refering to a tab using data from a cell

Is there a way that I can use data from a cell to reference a worksheet?

I have two columns with data in.

The first column (called columnA) contains values which match the names of
my worksheet tabs. The second column (columnB) contains references to items
found in those tabs.

I want to be able to use the first colum to speciy which tab to look in and
the secound column to be able to use the VLOOKUP function to then grab data
relevant to that entry. I can do the second bit but the first is proving
very difficult.

I need to somehow use the data contained in a cell to reference a worksheet
tab?!

Duke Carey

if A1 = 'Sheet1" and A2 = "C4" then use

=INDIRECT(A1&"!"&A2)

If your sheet/tab names contain spaces, you'll need single quotes around the
sheet name, i.e.,

=INDIRECT("'"A1&"'!"&A2)

"dan" wrote:

Is there a way that I can use data from a cell to reference a worksheet?

I have two columns with data in.

The first column (called columnA) contains values which match the names of
my worksheet tabs. The second column (columnB) contains references to items
found in those tabs.

I want to be able to use the first colum to speciy which tab to look in and
the secound column to be able to use the VLOOKUP function to then grab data
relevant to that entry. I can do the second bit but the first is proving
very difficult.

I need to somehow use the data contained in a cell to reference a worksheet
tab?!

dan

Thanks for that it works brilliantly. However what I need to be able to do
is use the VLOOKUP statement to checks within a range specified by that
indirect statement. E.g. something along the lines of

=VLOOKUP(C1, ?????????C4:X15, 2, FALSE) where C1 contains the reference to
search for, in the worksheet specified by the ???????. These question marks,
I had imagined, would be replaced by your indirect statement. However I
tried this and it didn't work directly.

Please can you offer any further assistance.

Many thanks in advance

Dan