Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Need some help BAD with conditional formatting

I have 2 sheets with infomation. Sheet1 C2:C15000 have some text in each
cell. Some cells in C2:C15000 have the same text, or may have slightly
different text. Sheet2 E3 has a free text cell that my end users can type
into it at will. I like to turn the Cells C2:C15000 in Sheet1 to turn yellow
if the keyword in E3 is found within the text in C2:C15000 on Sheet1.
--
tech1NJ
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Put your cursor into Sheet 1 Cs. Go to Conditional Formula, and choose is
equal to and then move to the next box and type in =$E3. The choose Format
and choose yellow on the Patterns tab. Copy and paste this all the way down
to C15000.
Nadine

"tech1NJ" wrote:

I have 2 sheets with infomation. Sheet1 C2:C15000 have some text in each
cell. Some cells in C2:C15000 have the same text, or may have slightly
different text. Sheet2 E3 has a free text cell that my end users can type
into it at will. I like to turn the Cells C2:C15000 in Sheet1 to turn yellow
if the keyword in E3 is found within the text in C2:C15000 on Sheet1.
--
tech1NJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Tried that. I does not work as Sheet2 E3 is part of the text that is found in
the cells in Sheet1 C2:C15000. This almost would need to have a formula that
would first see the free text entered in Sheet2 E3, perform the search in
Sheet1 C2:C15000, then perform the conditional formating to be yellow. Do you
agree....

See example below of what I have.

Sheet1 C2:C4 - shorten the number of cells for the example sake
C2= Has the build up to date
C3 = The build can be out of range
C4= All up to date nothing else to do at this time

Sheet2 E3 - free text entered by user is "build" (without the quotes).

I need Excel to search C2:C4 find the ones with "build: and perform the
conditional formatting to equal yellow.
--
tech1NJ

"tech1NJ" wrote:

I have 2 sheets with infomation. Sheet1 C2:C15000 have some text in each
cell. Some cells in C2:C15000 have the same text, or may have slightly
different text. Sheet2 E3 has a free text cell that my end users can type
into it at will. I like to turn the Cells C2:C15000 in Sheet1 to turn yellow
if the keyword in E3 is found within the text in C2:C15000 on Sheet1.
--
tech1NJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think I've got it. Put your cursor in Sheet 2 Cell E3. Name the cell by
going to the upper left of your screen until you see a white box with E3 and
a drop down arrow. Click inside the white box and name the cell - maybe call
it UserEntry or something that makes sense to you without the spaces. Hit
enter.

Now go to Sheet 1 and try it again but where you say what it should be equal
to, type in =UserEntry or whatever you called cell E3. Continue with the
conditional formatting.

Hope that works.

Nadine

"tech1NJ" wrote:

I have 2 sheets with infomation. Sheet1 C2:C15000 have some text in each
cell. Some cells in C2:C15000 have the same text, or may have slightly
different text. Sheet2 E3 has a free text cell that my end users can type
into it at will. I like to turn the Cells C2:C15000 in Sheet1 to turn yellow
if the keyword in E3 is found within the text in C2:C15000 on Sheet1.
--
tech1NJ

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

As suggested by Nadine, name cell E3 on Sheet 2 as UserEntry.

< Put your cursor in Sheet 2 Cell E3. Name the cell by going to the upper
left of your screen until you see a white box with E3 and a drop down arrow.
Click inside the white box and name the cell - call it UserEntry from Nadine

Select all the cells in column C that need conditional formatting ie Sheet1
C2:C15000 (this will save having to copy the formatting later...)

With 'Formula Is' selcted copy the following in to the field:

=NOT(ISERROR(SEARCH(UserEntry,C2)))

Select the format required and then click OK.

Hope this was helpful.

Rik_UK