Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default comparing two colums ? countif

Hi,

I have a spreadsheet with "weeks in column A and "Daily Charges" in
column R. [see below]

col A col R

Week 1
Week 1
20
Week 1
week 2
week 2

How do I say calculate how many charges [col R] occur in "week 1"
i.e. no of times there is a value in "col R" for week 1.

What would I use if the no. of rows is 250 or if it varies month on
month.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe something like this...

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A2:A250="Week 1"),--(R2:R250<""))

If you're using Excel 2007...

Assumes the cells in column R are either *EMPTY* or contain a visible entry.

=COUNTIFS(A2:A250,"Week 1",R2:R250,"<")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP