Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default countif comparing two columns

Please help.

I have two colums of data I need to compare, roughly 100 rows each. I need
to count a given row if the value in column b is greater than the number in
column a. There are a few alpha letters in each row. I have scoured and
tested everything I have seen posted regarding countif, sumif, sumproduct,
etc. and I can't seem to get it to work. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Do you mean the below...where you have data in ColA and ColB..the below
formula will count the rows in which both columns are numerics and colB is
greater than ColA.

Please note that this is an array formula. Within the cell in edit mode (F2)
paste this formula and press Ctrl+Shift+Enter to apply this formula. If
successful in 'Formula Bar' you can notice the curly braces at both ends like
"{=<formula}"

=SUM(IF(ISNUMBER(A1:A100),IF(ISNUMBER(B1:B100),IF( B1:B100A1:A100,1,0))))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Johndb" wrote:

Please help.

I have two colums of data I need to compare, roughly 100 rows each. I need
to count a given row if the value in column b is greater than the number in
column a. There are a few alpha letters in each row. I have scoured and
tested everything I have seen posted regarding countif, sumif, sumproduct,
etc. and I can't seem to get it to work. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jacob,

This was perfect, I am an intermediate user and I wasn't anywhere near this
line of thought. Thanks a heap.

Warmest Regards,

John

"Johndb" wrote:

Please help.

I have two colums of data I need to compare, roughly 100 rows each. I need
to count a given row if the value in column b is greater than the number in
column a. There are a few alpha letters in each row. I have scoured and
tested everything I have seen posted regarding countif, sumif, sumproduct,
etc. and I can't seem to get it to work. Any assistance would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

John

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

You could try this

=SUMPRODUCT(ISNUMBER(D3:D9)*ISNUMBER(E3:E9)*(D3:D9 E3:E9))

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com