Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula Result is different from the shown result

In the Function Arguments dialog the official Formula Result is different
(and wrong) from the result shown after "=" just under the Serial number
field.
I am using the Year formula. Whatever formatting I use for the date neither
this formula nor Text to Columns can return the correct year.
EG: Date is 15-05-07 or 39217, Forumula Result = 1905 but under serial
number field it shows the correct result of = 2007
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dan,

This question; at least to me, isn't clear. What are you entering and where
and what is the formula you are referring to?

If you enter something like
=YEAR(15-05-07)
Excel will evaluate that as 15-5-7=3 and come up with a year of 1900

--
Mike

question.

"DanWebster24" wrote:

In the Function Arguments dialog the official Formula Result is different
(and wrong) from the result shown after "=" just under the Serial number
field.
I am using the Year formula. Whatever formatting I use for the date neither
this formula nor Text to Columns can return the correct year.
EG: Date is 15-05-07 or 39217, Forumula Result = 1905 but under serial
number field it shows the correct result of = 2007

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Your explanation could have been a lot clearer. Here's my guess.

You are calculating =year(a1) where a1 contains the date May 15/2007.
You are formatting that cell as a date (with the format "yyyy"), and getting
the result 1905.

Your problem is that a year is not a date. Your year is 2007, but when you
format this as "yyyy", Excel thinks it's a serial number representing the
date Jun 29/1905. So it dutifully responds with 1905.

Your choices a
1. Don't use =Year(...). Just format the date cell with "yyyy".
2. Use =Year(...), but format as a number

Regards,
Fred