Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUM all Instances Q

How could I achieve the following via formula

I want to add up all the instances that certain numbers appear in Col
B with their corresponding values in COL D e.g. if 1 or 3 or 6 or 20
or 26 or 30 or 55 appears in Row1 then add the value that appears in
Row1 COL D and do this for every row in sheet where a values exist in
COL B.

I know how I could do it if I was looking for only 1 instance in ColB,
but the multi instances has me guessing

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks, that would be ideal if I could do =SUMIF(B:B,1,2,3,4,5,D:D),
but it only takes 1 criteria

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

If the ,1,2,3,4,5 part means sum them if value in B equals any one of those 5
values, then simply write a longish formula for all cases:

=SUMIF(B:B,1,D:D)+SUMIF(B:B,2,D:D)+SUMIF(B:B,3,D:D )+SUMIF(B:B,4,D:D)+SUMIF(B:B,5,D:D)

You only have to do it once.

"Seanie" wrote:

Thanks, that would be ideal if I could do =SUMIF(B:B,1,2,3,4,5,D:D),
but it only takes 1 criteria

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is there any limit to the 'longish' formula? Something tells me 8 is
the limit

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not in this case. The limit is the number of characters that can make up a
formula. That is 1024 in Excel 2003.

You are thinking of nested formulas when you mention 8. It's actually 7
levels of nesting, which gives you 8 options.

"Seanie" wrote:

Is there any limit to the 'longish' formula? Something tells me 8 is
the limit

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Another:

=SUM(SUMIF(B:B,{1,2,3,4,5},D:D))

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Dadgummit! I almost went there. Stopped before adding the outside SUM(), it
didn't work as an array formula, so I went with the individual SUMIF()s.

Hope OP sees your post.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Another:

=SUM(SUMIF(B:B,{1,2,3,4,5},D:D))

Seanie wrote:

Thanks, that would be ideal if I could do =SUMIF(B:B,1,2,3,4,5,D:D),
but it only takes 1 criteria

--

Dave Peterson
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks guys

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A further twist on =SUM(SUMIF(B:B,{1,2,3,4,5},D:D))

How could I incorporate a further criteria eg. If ColA contains
"London" and if ColB contains one of 1,2,3,4,5 then add up all those
instance in ColD