Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Charting % of Instances

I need a chart that shows a number of times that someone's been through our
system.

I have a list of names in column B. Some are there once, some are repeated
once, some twice, some three times. I'm looking for a way of pie charting
the amount of times someone's been through. For example the pie might be 50%
of the people have only been through once, 25% have been through twice, and
the other 25% have been through 3 times; these results gathered by counting
and comparing the names in the B Column.

I'm not sure how to do it. I'm thinking =COUNTIF into a blank column which
I can then output to a pivot table which I can get a pie chart from but this
may be WAY overthinking/funcitioning it.

Any help?
Thanks in advance!
--Dax

--
I would give my left hand to be ambidextrous!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Start with your original idea of a countif column next to data (I'll assume
data is in column a
=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)

Now, we'll setup a simple table for your pie chart
In D1: G1, put values of 1, 2, 3, 4 respectively.
D2 formula:
=COUNTIF($B:$B,D1)/D1
Copy all the way across

You now have a count for each amount of repetition. Note that if you want,
could change last column formula to
=COUNTIF($B:$B,"="&G1)/G1
to allow for counting people who visit more than 4 times.

You could try going with your Pivotchart idea, but I think this way is
simpler (and much smaller in file size!)
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Dax Arroway" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks for helping Luke. Sorry to be an idiot but I'm getting a DIV/0! error
so let me walk through what I did and see if I'm making a mistake somewhere.

My names are in Column C and my next available column is Column W, so in W1
I entered, =COUNTIF(C:C,C2). I then copied this formula down column W. Then
I put 1, 2, 3, 4, etc in columns X, Y, Z, etc. I then entered,
=COUNTIF($W:$W,X1)/X1 into X2 and it gives me the #DIV/0! error.

Am I doing something wrong?