Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default + or - % Results

I know this is probably simple but I am new to excel and have been going
crazy here. I am doing spread sheet for feedback on jobs I have quoted.
There is my price (A) and my competitors price (B). I need to know the
difference (C) % + or -.

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 % Answer
2 $101,510 $102,810 % Answer

--
Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

format your cell as % and increase decimal points to where you want to see
something like
=(a1-b1)/a1
should work for what you are trying to do

"mahlandj" wrote:

I know this is probably simple but I am new to excel and have been going
crazy here. I am doing spread sheet for feedback on jobs I have quoted.
There is my price (A) and my competitors price (B). I need to know the
difference (C) % + or -.

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 % Answer
2 $101,510 $102,810 % Answer

--
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I tried that but am getting two different answers. No mater which cell is
high or low the answer should be the same. Here are the examples:

I tried with this formula =(a1-b1)/a1

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 4.54%
2 $43,111 $45,161 -4.76%

It should read the same like below. This is what I need a formula for. It
should always figure out how much of a % to get from the low # to the high #.

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 4.76%
2 $43,111 $45,161 4.76%

--
Thanks!

"mahlandj" wrote:

I know this is probably simple but I am new to excel and have been going
crazy here. I am doing spread sheet for feedback on jobs I have quoted.
There is my price (A) and my competitors price (B). I need to know the
difference (C) % + or -.

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 % Answer
2 $101,510 $102,810 % Answer

--
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"mahlandj" wrote:
No mater which cell is high or low the answer
should be the same. Here are the examples:

[....]
A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 4.76%
2 $43,111 $45,161 4.76%

If that's what you truly want, then:

=MAX(A1,B1)/MIN(A1,B1) - 1

formatted as Percentage.

But I question whether that should be what you want. It can be misleading,
depending on how you intend to use those numbers.

"mahlandj" wrote:

I know this is probably simple but I am new to excel and have been going
crazy here. I am doing spread sheet for feedback on jobs I have quoted.
There is my price (A) and my competitors price (B). I need to know the
difference (C) % + or -.

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 % Answer
2 $101,510 $102,810 % Answer

--
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The results in your first table are correct.

If you invest $100 in the stock market, and suffer a 50% loss, you have $50
left. But to get back to what you started with, you need a 100% gain. This
is the way percentages work.

If you truly want the results in your second table, you need the following
formula:
=(max(a1,b1)-min(a1,b1))/min(a1,b1)

Regards,
Fred

"mahlandj" wrote in message
I tried that but am getting two different answers. No mater which cell is
high or low the answer should be the same. Here are the examples:

I tried with this formula =(a1-b1)/a1

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 4.54%
2 $43,111 $45,161 -4.76%

It should read the same like below. This is what I need a formula for.
It
should always figure out how much of a % to get from the low # to the high
#.

A B C
1 $45,161 $43,111 4.76%
2 $43,111 $45,161 4.76%