Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Excel Drop Down Lists

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The dropdown arrow is visible only when you select the cell.

Do you have "In-cell dropdown" selected?

Do you have ToolsOptionsViewObjects set for "Show All"?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 2 Mar 2010 08:48:06 -0800, biggles592
wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

hi
see this site...
http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal...rowsNotVisible

regards
FSt1

"biggles592" wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gord,
Many thanks for responding to my enquiry. Yes I do have "In cell dropdown"
selected and I do appreiciate that the dropdown arrow is only visable when
the cell is selected. I can't however find Tools menu on any of the
following Tabs I have at the top of the screen; namely Home,Insert,Page
Layout,Formulas,Data, Review,View,Developer and Add-Ins. Can you advise
specifically where I can find this "Tools" menu please?. Additionally I did
try saving the file as an .XLSX files rather than a.XLS file in Excel 97-2003
format and running it in compatability mode. Whaddya Know! in XLSX format
the dropdown arrows re-appear but this might be because I've not got
something set or checked in this version that is set or checked in the 97-03
version maybe???! Any ideas would greatly be appreiciated. Many thanks,
Biggles592

wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

2007.............ButtonExcel OptionsAdvancedDisplay Options for workbook.

You will find Objects....All or Nothing.

Uncheck "nothing"

Gord

wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Gord,
Thank you for responding so quickly again. I've checked that all is selected
and it was but still running under compatability mode as an .xls file the
down arrows refuse to show. I've even cleared formats and data validation and
re-entered it to no avail. Most frustrating!

wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I think we have covered everything except workbook corruption.

But have a browse through Debra's site to see if anything applies to you.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlDataV...rowsNotVisible

Gord

wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Agree we've covered everthing but nice to check with an expert! Remain
convinced it's a compatability issue as when I save the file as an .xlsx file
everything re-appears. So thats my answearthen. But many thanks for your kind
assistance.
Regards
Biggles592

wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Any chance you could send the file to me?

I'd like to test in 2003 and 2007.

Save as Excel 97-2003 format.

Send to gorddibbATshawDOTca change the obvious.

Gord

wrote:

I have a range of cells that I have formatted using Data Validation to have
their contents limited to selection from a drop Down list. However the down
arrow at the right hand side of each cell is missing or not displayed. What
could be wrong please?

.

.

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Thu, 04 Mar 2010 10:42:06 -0800, Gord Dibben <gorddibbATshawDOTca
wrote:

Any chance you could send the file to me?

I'd like to test in 2003 and 2007.

Save as Excel 97-2003 format.

Send to gorddibbATshawDOTca change the obvious.

Gord

He may be confused by something he saw elsewhere.

If one creates a combo-box with a scroll bar edge, it remains at all
times.