Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Follow up on date function question

Hey sorry to bother you guys again, but I've got a slightly different problem
now.

I used T. Valko's formula =TEXT(EDATE(B5,6),"mmmm") which works great. This
formula is in cell A6.

In my example, the value in cell B5 is 02/15/10. T. Valko's formula (in cell
A6) returns the value "August", which is correct.

Now, however, I need a formula for cell A7, which will look at the answer in
A6 (e.g. August) and add 3 more months to that value, returning an answer of
November.

I've tried modifying the formula T. Valko gave me but obviously I'm doing
something wrong because Excel keeps giving me an error message.

Thanks again for any help you can offer guys!

Jim
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:42:01 -0800, Jim Peterson
wrote:

Hey sorry to bother you guys again, but I've got a slightly different problem
now.

I used T. Valko's formula =TEXT(EDATE(B5,6),"mmmm") which works great. This
formula is in cell A6.

In my example, the value in cell B5 is 02/15/10. T. Valko's formula (in cell
A6) returns the value "August", which is correct.

Now, however, I need a formula for cell A7, which will look at the answer in
A6 (e.g. August) and add 3 more months to that value, returning an answer of
November.

I've tried modifying the formula T. Valko gave me but obviously I'm doing
something wrong because Excel keeps giving me an error message.

Thanks again for any help you can offer guys!

Jim

From what you post, there doesn't seem to be a reason that you MUST look at A6.

Try

A7: =text(edate(b5,9),"mmmm")

If, for some reason, you absolutely had to look at A6, you could use this:

=TEXT(EDATE(DATEVALUE(1 & " " & A6),3),"mmmm")

--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thanks Ron for the help. Your second suggestion works fine. (Due to
circumstances, I do have to look at the cell above (a6) each time and not the
originating cell (B5 in this case).

Jim

wrote:

Hey sorry to bother you guys again, but I've got a slightly different problem
now.

I used T. Valko's formula =TEXT(EDATE(B5,6),"mmmm") which works great. This
formula is in cell A6.

In my example, the value in cell B5 is 02/15/10. T. Valko's formula (in cell
A6) returns the value "August", which is correct.

Now, however, I need a formula for cell A7, which will look at the answer in
A6 (e.g. August) and add 3 more months to that value, returning an answer of
November.

I've tried modifying the formula T. Valko gave me but obviously I'm doing
something wrong because Excel keeps giving me an error message.

Thanks again for any help you can offer guys!

Jim

From what you post, there doesn't seem to be a reason that you MUST look at A6.

Try

A7: =text(edate(b5,9),"mmmm")

If, for some reason, you absolutely had to look at A6, you could use this:

=TEXT(EDATE(DATEVALUE(1 & " " & A6),3),"mmmm")

--ron
.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 08:24:01 -0800, Jim Peterson
wrote:

Thanks Ron for the help. Your second suggestion works fine. (Due to
circumstances, I do have to look at the cell above (a6) each time and not the
originating cell (B5 in this case).

Jim

Glad to help. Thanks for the feedback.
--ron