Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF statement that yields a value based on a formula

Help! If cell B12 = 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on the
formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero.

How do I do this?
--
barbara h
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline

IF(B12=0,B12*0.4,IF(B12,0,0))
Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva

"barbara h" wrote:

Help! If cell B12 = 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on the
formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero.

How do I do this?
--
barbara h

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Try this

=MAX(0,B12*0.4)
--
Mike

question.

"barbara h" wrote:

Help! If cell B12 = 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on the
formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero.

How do I do this?
--
barbara h

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

One way...

=(B12=0)*0.4

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"barbara h" wrote in message
Help! If cell B12 = 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on
the
formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero.

How do I do this?
--
barbara h

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

based on the formual "B12 * .40".
=(B12=0)*0.4

Ooops!

Disregard that formula.

Here's a corrected version:

=(B120)*(B12*0.4)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote in message
One way...

=(B12=0)*0.4

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"barbara h" wrote in message
Help! If cell B12 = 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on
the
formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero.

How do I do this?
--
barbara h

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Is the second IF really needed? Would not IF(B12=0,B12*0.4,0) solve the
problem more simply?

Also, since 0*0.4 = 0 it could be simplified to IF(B120,B12*0.4,0).

If the test only occurs a few times there won't be a noticable difference,
but if the test happens hundreds of times then the last formula will be
faster.

"Eva" wrote:

IF(B12=0,B12*0.4,IF(B12,0,0))
Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva

"barbara h" wrote:

Help! If cell B12 = 0, then I need the answer to be calculated based on the
formual "B12 * .40". If cell B12 < 0, then the answer is zero.

How do I do this?
--
barbara h

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Neil,

You don't need an IF statement at all, have a look at other responses
--
Mike

question.

"Neil Humphries" wrote:

Is the second IF really needed? Would not IF(B12=0,B12*0.4,0) solve the
problem more simply?

Also, since 0*0.4 = 0 it could be simplified to IF(B120,B12*0.4,0).

If the test only occurs a few times there won't be a noticable difference,
but if the test happens hundreds of times then the last formula will be
faster.

"Eva" wrote:

IF(B12=0,B12*0.4,IF(B12,0,0))
Click yes if helped