Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I define date range criteria in SUMIF formula?

Hi,

I am trying to use excel to forecast payments owing in each month. If column
A is a list of dates and column B the amounts owing how can I set up the
SUMIF formula to provide, for example, the sum of all amounts owing in
February 2010?

I can get it to return a figure owing on a specific date:
=SUMIF(C4:C25,DATE(2010,1,31),D4:D25)

However find I cannot get the right criteria for a range of dates (ie a
month). Have tried for eg =DATE(2010,1,31) and this brings no result...

What am I doing wrong??

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

A couple of ways

=SUMIF(C4:C25,"="&DATE(2010,2,1),D4:D25)-SUMIF(C4:C25,"="&DATE(2010,3,1),D4:D25)

or

SUMPRODUCT(--(C4:C25=--"2010-02-01"),--(C4:C25<--"2010-03-01"),D4:D25)

HTH

Bob