Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default A Concatenate Formula Question

I am using Concatenate to build strings from a spreadhsheet. Mostly these are
based on prior records.

My data was delivered sort of like this

Parent | Name
"" | Dockmaster
Dockmaster | Level 1
Dockmaster | Level 2
Dockmaster | Level 3
None | Wharfloader
Wharfloader | Level 1
etc

So I created a new field FullName and used Concatenate to say if Parent<""
then Concatenate PriorRecord#_FullName + CurrentRecord_Name e.g.
Dockmaster Level 1

Obviously when ti gets to Wharfloader since parent is null it just use
Wharfloader (and the next one is Wharfloader Level 1. The problem as you can
see from this example is when there is more then one record in a row with the
same parent.

So I get

Dockmaster Level 1
Dockmaster Level 1 Level 2

Since there can be any # of 'children' I am not sure what logic to use to
force it to jump back to (in this case) Dockmaster. I'm hoping the answer is
simple and just alluding me :) Any help appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Msnyc07 -

If you change the 'PriorRecord#_FullName' in your current concatenation to
'CurrentRecord_Parent', then you won't get the duplication.

--
Daryl S