TANDEX

Default how to lock worksheet formatting?

Is there a way to lock worksheet formatting? (Excel 2002) I use spreadsheet
to create invoices, new ones just based on previous spreadsheet.
I need prevent invoice worksheet from changing (lock cells, i.e. keep
formatting without changes), but user still need be able fill the necessary
data into cells, and then save invoice.

Gord Dibben

Tandex

By default when a work sheet is protected all cells are locked.

Select cells in which users are to enter data.

FormatCellsProtection. Uncheck the "locked" option.

Now ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet.

Set the options you wish users to have then provide a password and OK.

Note: sheet passwords are easily cracked.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 10 May 2005 21:22:36 +0300, "TANDEX" wrote:

Is there a way to lock worksheet formatting? (Excel 2002) I use spreadsheet
to create invoices, new ones just based on previous spreadsheet.
I need prevent invoice worksheet from changing (lock cells, i.e. keep
formatting without changes), but user still need be able fill the necessary
data into cells, and then save invoice.

Sarah

Hi
you need to lock your workbook sheet.. the first thing is that save your
worksheet click file and save as and put a name then you will get save as box
you will see on that box save general click that arrow and select put
password or like that you see one word about password and try to locked..

"TANDEX" wrote:

Is there a way to lock worksheet formatting? (Excel 2002) I use spreadsheet
to create invoices, new ones just based on previous spreadsheet.
I need prevent invoice worksheet from changing (lock cells, i.e. keep
formatting without changes), but user still need be able fill the necessary
data into cells, and then save invoice.

Gord Dibben

Sarah

What you describe is setting password to open the file.

There are three types of protection and passwording(4 if you count VBA
projects)

Sheet Protection is what you need to "lock" or "unlock" cells for editing.
Protecting elements from all users. You can prevent users from inserting,
deleting, and formatting rows and columns, from changing the contents of
locked cells, and from moving the cursor to cells that are locked or to cells
that are unlocked.

Each sheet must be done individually unless you use a Macro.

Workbook Protection is used to lock the structure.
You can prevent users from adding or deleting worksheets, or displaying hidden
worksheets. You can also prevent users from changing the sizes or positions of
the windows you set up to display a workbook. These protections apply to the
entire workbook. This does not protect the sheets from editing.

Then there is File Protection. You put a password on the file so it cannot be
opened with out the PW.

To prevent anyone from viewing an Excel file you need to password-protect the
file from being opened in the first place.

XL97.....FileSave AsOptionsPassword to open

XL2002 & 2003...FileSave AsToolsGeneral OptionsPassword to open.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP