Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
KB KB is offline

Default Any way to sort rows of data with merged cells????

My worksheet area I need to sort consists of columns A thru W, and rows 7 to
30..... The challenge is this: rows 7,8,9,10 & columns A-W holds one set of
data, 11,12,13,14 & A-W another, etc. etc. thru row 30....

So I have 6 "things" I am measuring. There are multiple merged cells within
above mentioned range of cells, so I guess what I'm trying to sort is ranges
of cells. The last merged cells in the range is W-7,8,9,10.....W11,12,13,14
etc. etc, which has a numeric value assigned by the amount of data entered in
columns D thru Q.

So I tried: sort range by Column W, sort on Values, order Largest to
Smallest and get an error message saying:

This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized...and to
complete I have to unmerge all cells in the range, or make each group of
merged cells the same size as the largest group.....

Each and every cell of data in the 4 row X 23 column range that consists of
42 data entries are exactly the same.....

Seems simple, but I've hit the wall...anyone have a clue if this is possible
some way, some how???

Thanks!