Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SUMIF and text

I am looking for a way to use the SUMIF function on text. I have a sheet with
several different words in A column and different values in the B column.
For instance would I like to get SUMIF to return the value in B were the
word BAKER is in column A. But I would also like it to return the value for
the word BAKER 2 and BAKER 3 in the same cell (All vaues starting with BAKER).
Is it possible to make a formula with SUMIF that returns for instance alle
values where the text starts with BAKER?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can use wildcards with SUMIF, like this:

=SUMIF(A:A,"BAKER*",B:B)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 4, 5:34*pm, Silja wrote:
I am looking for a way to use the SUMIF function on text. I have a sheet with
several different words in A column and different values in the B column.
For instance would I like to get SUMIF to return the value in B were the
word BAKER is in column A. But I would also like it to return the value for
the word BAKER 2 and BAKER 3 in the same cell (All vaues starting with BAKER).
Is it possible to make a formula with SUMIF that returns for instance alle
values where the text starts with BAKER?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much! That really helped me :-D