-   -   SUMIF and text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-worksheet-functions/255383-sumif-text.html)

Silja

SUMIF and text

I am looking for a way to use the SUMIF function on text. I have a sheet with
several different words in A column and different values in the B column.
For instance would I like to get SUMIF to return the value in B were the
word BAKER is in column A. But I would also like it to return the value for
the word BAKER 2 and BAKER 3 in the same cell (All vaues starting with BAKER).
Is it possible to make a formula with SUMIF that returns for instance alle
values where the text starts with BAKER?

Eduardo

SUMIF and text

Hi,

=sumif(A1:A1000,"Baker*",B1:B1000)

"Silja" wrote:

I am looking for a way to use the SUMIF function on text. I have a sheet with
several different words in A column and different values in the B column.
For instance would I like to get SUMIF to return the value in B were the
word BAKER is in column A. But I would also like it to return the value for
the word BAKER 2 and BAKER 3 in the same cell (All vaues starting with BAKER).
Is it possible to make a formula with SUMIF that returns for instance alle
values where the text starts with BAKER?

Pete_UK

SUMIF and text

You can use wildcards with SUMIF, like this:

=SUMIF(A:A,"BAKER*",B:B)

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 4, 5:34*pm, Silja wrote:
I am looking for a way to use the SUMIF function on text. I have a sheet with
several different words in A column and different values in the B column.
For instance would I like to get SUMIF to return the value in B were the
word BAKER is in column A. But I would also like it to return the value for
the word BAKER 2 and BAKER 3 in the same cell (All vaues starting with BAKER).
Is it possible to make a formula with SUMIF that returns for instance alle
values where the text starts with BAKER?

Silja

SUMIF and text

Thank you so much! That really helped me :-D