Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Import external data into Excel 2007 so I can subtotal it

I would like to be able to use Microsoft Query to import data from a SQL
database into a sheet in Excel 2007 in a raw format, not a table, so I can
subtotal it. I was able to do it once but not since. Everytime I try now it
come in as a table and then the subtotal button is greyed out. Any help in
in answering this mystery is GREATLY appreciated!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You mean Table as in DataInsert Table?

If a single column Table you can filter and subtotal within the Table

...............or get rid of it.

Right-click anywhere in the Table and TableConvert to Range

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:29:02 -0800, Denise
wrote:

I would like to be able to use Microsoft Query to import data from a SQL
database into a sheet in Excel 2007 in a raw format, not a table, so I can
subtotal it. I was able to do it once but not since. Everytime I try now it
come in as a table and then the subtotal button is greyed out. Any help in
in answering this mystery is GREATLY appreciated!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

That is not possible to do unless you want to break the link I.e. lose the
link between Access and Excel. When you import data into Excel from Access
(via MS Query), the output comes as a Table by default. If you click on
convert to Range, it would give you a prompt saying that the connection
would be lost.

Also, one of the limitation of Table is that Data Subtotal gets
deactivated.

As an alternative, you may import the Data as a pivot table (which will
automatically apply all subtotals). The pivot table option may be selected
in the Import Data box.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com