Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Adding text values in Excel

I'm trying to create formulas for an order form. In column B I have the size
of the product (small, medium, large) and in column C I have "Left" or
"Right". I'd like to write a formula telling me the totals for each: "Small,
left" "small, right" "medium left" "medium right" "large left" large right"
etc. I've tried just about every function that's been suggested for similar
problems and no luck. I've even tried the pivot tables.
Thanks for any input!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could set up a summary table like this:

Left Right
Small
Medium
Large

then you could have a formula to give you the counts in the
appropriate cells. Suppose the label "Left" above is in M1, then in M2
you could have this formula:

=SUMPRODUCT(($B$1:$B$100=$L2)*($C$1:$C$100=M$1))

Adjust the ranges to suit your data (I've assumed 100 rows), then you
can copy this across and down the cells in your summary table.

Hope this helps.

Pete