Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Adding different text values

Hi:
I need to add all business lines - ie. A, B, C, D that are in a column.
A, B, C need to be added together
D needs to be added on it's own. This is what I ultimately need to know:
IF my lines of business are as follows-
Then my first total would be 7 for the a b c's
Then my second total would be 2 for the d's
I am using 2003 version.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you mean

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100={"a","b","c"}))
=COUNTIF(A:A,"d")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi:
I need to add all business lines - ie. A, B, C, D that are in a column.
A, B, C need to be added together
D needs to be added on it's own. This is what I ultimately need to know:
IF my lines of business are as follows-
Then my first total would be 7 for the a b c's
Then my second total would be 2 for the d's
I am using 2003 version.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

hi,
let's say your letters are in column A, and you want the result of the ABC
in cell B2 and the result for the D in cell B3

in cell B2 enter

=sumproduct(($A$1:$A$1000="A")+($A$1:$A$1000="B")+ ($A$1:$A$1000="C")

in cell B3 enter

=sumproduct(($A$1:$A$1000="D"))

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi:
I need to add all business lines - ie. A, B, C, D that are in a column.
A, B, C need to be added together
D needs to be added on it's own. This is what I ultimately need to know:
IF my lines of business are as follows-
Then my first total would be 7 for the a b c's
Then my second total would be 2 for the d's
I am using 2003 version.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you so much!!!! Works like a charm!!
cindy

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Do you mean

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100={"a","b","c"}))
=COUNTIF(A:A,"d")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi:
I need to add all business lines - ie. A, B, C, D that are in a column.
A, B, C need to be added together
D needs to be added on it's own. This is what I ultimately need to know:
IF my lines of business are as follows-
Then my first total would be 7 for the a b c's
Then my second total would be 2 for the d's
I am using 2003 version.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jacob - one other question - I need to differentiate an employee ID along
with the other things contained below. In other words, I need to see all the
a, b, c, d's for employee id cj3
a cj3
a cj3
b kw2
c cj3
c kw2
d kw2
d cj3 so, cj3 would have 3 of the a,b,c's and 1 d
Thank you so much again!

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Do you mean

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100={"a","b","c"}))
=COUNTIF(A:A,"d")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi:
I need to add all business lines - ie. A, B, C, D that are in a column.
A, B, C need to be added together
D needs to be added on it's own. This is what I ultimately need to know:
IF my lines of business are as follows-
Then my first total would be 7 for the a b c's
Then my second total would be 2 for the d's
I am using 2003 version.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Another way ... just keeping the functions consistent:

=Sum(Countif(A1:A100,{"A","B","C"}))

=Countif(A1:A100,"D")
--
HTH,

RD

"Cindyt" wrote in message
Hi:
I need to add all business lines - ie. A, B, C, D that are in a column.
A, B, C need to be added together
D needs to be added on it's own. This is what I ultimately need to know:
IF my lines of business are as follows-
Then my first total would be 7 for the a b c's
Then my second total would be 2 for the d's
I am using 2003 version.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a cell to hold the employee ID, say C1, then try these:

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100={"A","B","C"})*(B1:B100=C1))

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="D")*(B1:B100=C1))
--
HTH,

RD

"Cindyt" wrote in message
Jacob - one other question - I need to differentiate an employee ID along
with the other things contained below. In other words, I need to see all
the
a, b, c, d's for employee id cj3
a cj3
a cj3
b kw2
c cj3
c kw2
d kw2
d cj3 so, cj3 would have 3 of the a,b,c's and 1 d
Thank you so much again!

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Do you mean

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100={"a","b","c"}))
=COUNTIF(A:A,"d")

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Cindyt" wrote:

Hi:
I need to add all business lines - ie. A, B, C, D that are in a column.
A, B, C need to be added together
D needs to be added on it's own. This is what I ultimately need to
know:
IF my lines of business are as follows-
Then my first total would be 7 for the a b c's
Then my second total would be 2 for the d's
I am using 2003 version.
Thank you in advance for your help.
Cindy

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

One more..............if all you have is a, b, c, d

=COUNTA(A1:A10)-COUNTIF(A1:A10,"d")

=COUNTIF(A1:A10,"d")

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 4 Aug 2009 11:27:02 -0700, Cindyt
wrote:

Thank you so much!!!! Works like a charm!!
cindy

"Jacob Skaria" wrote:

Do you mean

=SUMPRODUCT(--(A1:A100={"a","b","c"}))