Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default SIMPLE CONCATENATE FUNCTION

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=A1 & " " & A2 & " " & A3 & " " & A4 & " " & A5 & " " &A6

--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

You could use something like this
In say, B1: =TRIM(A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5&" "&A6)
The ampersand: & is the concat operator, shorter to type than CONCATENATE
TRIM is optional but recommended to remove any extraneous white spaces
Any joy? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"Rebecca" wrote:
I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rebecca,

To make it readable, in addition to the words you need spaces.

=A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&" "&A5&" "&A6

Mike

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Macro solution

Option Explicit
Sub makesentence()
Dim mc As Long
Dim i As Long
Dim ms As String
mc = 1 'col A
For i = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, mc).End(xlUp).Row
ms = ms & Cells(i, mc) & " "
Next i
'MsgBox ms
Cells(1, mc + 1) = ms
Columns(mc + 1).Columns.AutoFit

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You can try one of the below formulas
=CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6)

=A1&A2&A3&A4&A5&A6

Concatenate do not work for a range. If you would like to try a UDF which
works for a range try this UDF (User Defined function). From workbook launch
VBE using Alt+F11. From menu Insert a Module and paste the below
function.Close and get back to workbook and try the below formula.

Syntax:
=CONCATRANGE(rngRange,strDelimiter,blnIgnoreBlank)
rngRange is the Range
strDelimiter Optional . Default is space
blnIgnoreBlank Optional. Default is False

Examples:
'1. Concatenate with default delimiter(space)
=CONCATRANGE(A1:A10)

'2. Concatenate with semicolon as delimiter and ignore blanks
=CONCATRANGE(A1:A10,":",1)

Function CONCATRANGE(rngRange As Range, _
Optional strDelimiter As String = " ", _
Optional blnIgnoreBlank As Boolean = False)
Dim varTemp As Range
For Each varTemp In rngRange
If blnIgnoreBlank Then
If Trim(varTemp) < vbNullString Then _
CONCATRANGE = CONCATRANGE & strDelimiter & varTemp
Else
CONCATRANGE = CONCATRANGE & strDelimiter & varTemp
End If
Next
CONCATRANGE = _
WorksheetFunction.Trim(Mid(CONCATRANGE, len(strDelimiter)+1))
End Function

--
Jacob

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5&" "&A6
--
Regards!
Stefi

€˛Rebecca€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Another option is to download and install the free add-in Morefunc.xll from:

http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm

Alternate download site:

http://www.download.com/Morefunc/300...-10423159.html

This add-in contains many useful functions including a range concatenation
function called MCONCAT.

The formula would be:

=MCONCAT(A1:A6," ")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

We can shorten your macro up by removing the loop...

Sub MakeSentence()
Dim MC As Long
MC = 1 'Column A
Cells(1, MC + 1).Value = Join(WorksheetFunction.Transpose( _
Range(Cells(1, MC), Cells( _
Rows.Count, MC).End(xlUp))), " ")
Columns(MC + 1).Columns.AutoFit

Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rebecca --

=CONCATENATE(A1,B1,C1,D1,E1,F1)

Worked for me with similar OS & Excel

HTH

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Maybe this:
=A1&A2&A3&A4&A5&A6

Select the range and hit F4, you'll get this:
=$A$1&$A$2&$A$3&$A$4&$A$5&$A$6

Look in the help files, or on Google, for 'Absolute Reference'.

--
Ryan---

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rebecca don't quite understand your problem. Presumably your using:
=CONCATENATE(A1," ",A2," ",A3," ",A4," ",A5," ",A6)
or
=A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5&" "&A6
Please explain how this will not work in any cell that you copy it to !?

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

=CONCATENATE(A1, " ", A2, " ", A3," ",A4," ",A5," ",A6)
or
=A1 & " " & A2 & " " & A3 & " " & A4 & " " & A5 & " " & A6

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,
try

=A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5&" "&A6

if this helps please click yes thanks

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It appears that they are using some thoroughly unreliable web interface to
the newsgroup, and my guess is that they are not seeing the answers that
those of us accessing the newsgroup by more reliable means can send and see.

If Microsoft can't provide a reliable link between their web server and
their news server, it would be easier if they were to separate the two
systems completely, and then those who prefer to use a web forum could use
that, and those who prefer the newsgroup could use this.
--
David Biddulph

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You need to identifiy each item

=CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6,A7)

For spaces, you need to include them also

=CONCATENATE(A1," ",A2," ",A3," ",A4," ",A5," ",A6," ",A7," ")
--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Bob Phillips" wrote:
What is going on? Why are people posting with answers
that were supplied hours, even days, ago?

Take a look at my thread "FYI: MSDG not displaying posts;...". Ignore
Peter's comments; he did not understand the problem. But some of my later
response refine the details of the problem.

I'm not sure which postings your are complaining about. But if you look at
the actual "source" of the posting, you might see that the From address is
" or that the Message-ID is ".
Either indicates that it was submitted using the MS Discussion Groups web
interface. Such is the case for some of the more recent postings that I
looked at in this thread.

FYI, the MSDG web interface is still broken as of the time of this response,
more than 48 hours later.

"Rebecca" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use the amperand (&) to string things together. In your example, something
like:

=A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5&" "&A6
--
Best Regards,

Luke M

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi

Using the Excel's Concatenate function, try this

=CONCATENATE(A1," ",A2," ",A3," ",A4," ",A5," ",A6)

Normally, I use the & to concatenate, in your case which will be

=A1&" "&A2&" "&A3&" "&A4&" "&A5&" "&A6

--
Hope this help

Please click the Yes button below if this post have helped in your needs

Thank You

cheers, francis

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tom tom is offline

Try this:
=CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6)

All it does is add the values in all the specified cells.

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Rebecca -

You can put this in cell A8:

=CONCATENATE(A1," ",A2," ",A3," ",A4," ",A5," ",A6)

This assumes you don't have the spaces in your cells and they must be
concatenated in.

If you have a lot of these, and the number of cells can be large, then you
could also do something like this is a column next to the cells:

in B1: =A1
in B2: =B1 & " " & A2

Then drag B2 down as far as you need. This will append all the words with
spaces between, and is much faster to create than the concatenate formula.

--
Daryl S

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tom tom is offline

Try:

=CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5,A6)

It combines the values of all the specified cells.

"Rebecca" wrote:

I apologize for asking such an incredibly newbie question, but I simply can't
get this to work, despite reading the help files and searching this forum. I
am using Windows 7 and newly purchased Excel 2007.

I have a column A with the following words (this is a simple, made-up
example): in

A1 The
A2 book
A3 is
A4 on
A5 the
A6 shelf.

I want to CONCATENATE them into one sentence in one cell. I can get
CONCATENATE to work in one row of cells in two or more columns, but I can't
get it to work in several rows of cells in the same column. Could you please
explain in detail how this can be done? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Eva Eva is offline

Please try this
=CONCATENATE(A1," ",A2,," ",A3," ",A4," ",A5," ",A6)
Click yes if helped
--
Greatly appreciated
Eva