Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How can I number rows based on unique values in another column?

I need to create a number in column A based on the data in column B. Here's
an example of the result that I want:

Number Product Code
1 001-1002-P
1 001-1002-R
1 003-4501-10
2 003-4501-10
1 003-4501-12
2 003-4501-12
1 003-4501-14
2 003-4501-14

I'm really looking to get either a 1 or 2 based on the first or 2nd entry of
the product code.
--
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Max Max is offline

Assuming data starts in B2 down
Put in A2: =COUNTIF(B$2:B2,B2)
Copy down. Success? hit the YES below
--
Max
Singapore
"Carla" wrote:
I need to create a number in column A based on the data in column B. Here's
an example of the result that I want:

Number Product Code
1 001-1002-P
1 001-1002-R
1 003-4501-10
2 003-4501-10
1 003-4501-12
2 003-4501-12
1 003-4501-14
2 003-4501-14

I'm really looking to get either a 1 or 2 based on the first or 2nd entry of
the product code.
--
Carla

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 21:37:02 -0800, Carla
wrote:

I need to create a number in column A based on the data in column B. Here's
an example of the result that I want:

Number Product Code
1 001-1002-P
1 001-1002-R
1 003-4501-10
2 003-4501-10
1 003-4501-12
2 003-4501-12
1 003-4501-14
2 003-4501-14

I'm really looking to get either a 1 or 2 based on the first or 2nd entry of
the product code.

Try this formula in cell A2:

=COUNTIF(B$2:B2,B2)

Copy down as far as you have data in column B.

If the prioducts are alway grouped together according to the product
codes, as in your example, this formula could alternatively be used:

=COUNTIF(B1:B2,B2)

Hope this helps / Lars-Åke

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I'm really looking to get either a 1 or 2 based
on the first or 2nd entry of the product code.

Assuming the data is sorted as is shown in the posted sample and there are
no gaps in the data (empty cells).

Enter this formula in A2 and copy down as needed:

=(B2=B1)+1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP