Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default IF Statement Help - Not seeing whole cell

I'm trying to create an IF statement. whe

=IF(B3=GCVW-00001,"D3=X,"D3=O")

I keep getting an error with my formula - now when i take out the GCVW
portion and just leave the 1, the formula works fine and does what it should.
But the cells i'm looking at contain more than just a single digit.

Help, please. I need it to search the cell and return an X if it find a
certain value, all the values i'm looking for contain GCVW-0000*

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

It appears that you should be looking for the string "GCVW-00001" and
Excel is probably giving you the #NAME? error because it doesn't know
anything with the name GCVW-0001.

On Dec 31, 10:51*am, stumped
wrote:
I'm trying to create an IF statement. whe

=IF(B3=GCVW-00001,"D3=X,"D3=O")

I keep getting an error with my formula - now when i take out the GCVW
portion and just leave the 1, the formula works fine and does what it should.
But the cells i'm looking at contain more than just a single digit.

Help, please. I need it to search the cell and return an X if it find a
certain value, all the values i'm looking for contain GCVW-0000*

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"stumped" wrote:
I'm trying to create an IF statement. whe
=IF(B3=GCVW-00001,"D3=X,"D3=O")
I keep getting an error with my formula

At a minimum, I presume you want:

=IF(B3="GCVW-00001","D3=X,"D3=O")

Note the quotes around around GCVW-00001. Without them, Excel is treating
GCVW-00001 as a named reference.

But I suspect want you truly want is the following in D3:

=IF(B3="GCVW-00001","X,"O")

I'm trying to create an IF statement. whe

=IF(B3=GCVW-00001,"D3=X,"D3=O")

I keep getting an error with my formula - now when i take out the GCVW
portion and just leave the 1, the formula works fine and does what it should.
But the cells i'm looking at contain more than just a single digit.

Help, please. I need it to search the cell and return an X if it find a
certain value, all the values i'm looking for contain GCVW-0000*

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

Using a formula you can't 'PUSH' a value into D3, formula don't do that.
Youhave to put the formula in D3 like this

=IF(B3="GCVW-1","x",0)

Or if the string GCVW-1 could be mixed up with other text then use this

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("GCVW-1",B3)),"X",0)

Mike

"stumped" wrote:

I'm trying to create an IF statement. whe

=IF(B3=GCVW-00001,"D3=X,"D3=O")

I keep getting an error with my formula - now when i take out the GCVW
portion and just leave the 1, the formula works fine and does what it should.
But the cells i'm looking at contain more than just a single digit.

Help, please. I need it to search the cell and return an X if it find a
certain value, all the values i'm looking for contain GCVW-0000*

thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try ...

=IF(B3="GCVW-00001",D3="X",D3="O")