Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto calculating not working

For the first time in 20 years of using Excel, I am finding that auto
calculation is not taking place whenever I add new entries to a range of
cells included in, for example, the SUM function. I only get the correct
results after invoking the function again. Even to calculate a fraction, the
correct answer is not automatically updated if the numerator or denominator
changes. Yesterday, I emailed the worksheet I was working on to my office
neighbour's computer and I was able to edit the sheet and get the updated
results automatically.

Could there be something wrong with the version on Excel 2007 on my PC?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

It sounds like it may be calculation has been changed to manual.

Office button - Excel Options - Formulas - Select "Automatic" - OK

If it is that and your wondering how, it's because Excel remembers the
calculation setting of the first workbook opened in a session and if that was
set to manual then the application is changed to manual.

Mike

"Marcia" wrote:

For the first time in 20 years of using Excel, I am finding that auto
calculation is not taking place whenever I add new entries to a range of
cells included in, for example, the SUM function. I only get the correct
results after invoking the function again. Even to calculate a fraction, the
correct answer is not automatically updated if the numerator or denominator
changes. Yesterday, I emailed the worksheet I was working on to my office
neighbour's computer and I was able to edit the sheet and get the updated
results automatically.

Could there be something wrong with the version on Excel 2007 on my PC?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Thank you so much! I did find that out with the help of someone from my IT
dept!

Never too old to learn!

.