Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default how do I get a function formula cell to format as a number?

I put this formula "=IF(OR($C$9="Check",$C$9="Decrease
Adjustment"),$G$8,"0")" and the cell formats as a number but when I put this
formula "=(IF($C$8="Enter Transaction",IF(OR($C$9="Withdrawal",$C$9="Increas e
Adjustment"),$G$8,""),""))&(IF($C$8="Enter
Receipt",IF(OR($C$9="Check",$C$9="Decrease Adjustment"),$G$8,""),""))" it
doesn't. I have gone into the fomatting of the cell and it shows that it
should be viewing appropriately but it is not doing it.

Can someone tell me what I am not doing in order to get the second function
formula to show as as number?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

The reason is becaue the formula returns a TEXT value even if it looks like
a number. You're concatenating 2 results together and this forces the result
to be TEXT. for example:

=10&".0"

Result = 10.0

It *looks* like a number but it isn't, it's a TEXT string.

So, if the result of the first half of your formula is G8 (which I assume is
a number) and the result of the second half of the formula is blank ("")
then you get:

G8&""

Let's assume G8 = 100.

G8&"" = 100

It *looks* like a number but it isn't, it's a TEXT string.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kristin" wrote in message
I put this formula "=IF(OR($C$9="Check",$C$9="Decrease
Adjustment"),$G$8,"0")" and the cell formats as a number but when I put
this
formula "=(IF($C$8="Enter
Transaction",IF(OR($C$9="Withdrawal",$C$9="Increas e
Adjustment"),$G$8,""),""))&(IF($C$8="Enter
Receipt",IF(OR($C$9="Check",$C$9="Decrease Adjustment"),$G$8,""),""))" it
doesn't. I have gone into the fomatting of the cell and it shows that it
should be viewing appropriately but it is not doing it.

Can someone tell me what I am not doing in order to get the second
function
formula to show as as number?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Try it like this...

All on one line

=IF(OR($C$8={"Enter Transaction","Enter Receipt"}),
IF(OR($C$9={"Withdrawl","Increase Adjustment",
"Check","Decrease Adjustment"}),$G$8,""),"")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Kristin" wrote in message
I put this formula "=IF(OR($C$9="Check",$C$9="Decrease
Adjustment"),$G$8,"0")" and the cell formats as a number but when I put
this
formula "=(IF($C$8="Enter
Transaction",IF(OR($C$9="Withdrawal",$C$9="Increas e
Adjustment"),$G$8,""),""))&(IF($C$8="Enter
Receipt",IF(OR($C$9="Check",$C$9="Decrease Adjustment"),$G$8,""),""))"
it
doesn't. I have gone into the fomatting of the cell and it shows that
it
should be viewing appropriately but it is not doing it.

Can someone tell me what I am not doing in order to get the second
function
formula to show as as number?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"T. Valko" wrote:

The reason is becaue the formula returns a TEXT value even if it looks
like
a number. You're concatenating 2 results together and this forces the
result
to be TEXT. for example:

=10&".0"

Result = 10.0

It *looks* like a number but it isn't, it's a TEXT string.

So, if the result of the first half of your formula is G8 (which I
assume
is
a number) and the result of the second half of the formula is blank
("")
then you get:

G8&""

Let's assume G8 = 100.