Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default How to format cell to get first capital letter?

I have a column containing weekdays derived from a date using the weekday
function. If I format these cells with "dddd" I will get monday, tuesday etc.
But I want the weekdays to be Monday, Tuesday etc. Anyway to do this as cell
formatting?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Use Text Function in your weekday formula.

=TEXT(WEEKDAY(A1),"DDDD")

The above function itself will result you the weekdays like this Monday,
Tuesday etc

If you want to show the weekdays in lower case the use the below:-
=LOWER(TEXT(WEEKDAY(A1),"DDDD"))
Result:- monday

If you want to show the weekdays in UPPER CASE the use the below:-
=UPPER(TEXT(WEEKDAY(A1),"DDDD"))
Result:- MONDAY

If you want to show the weekdays in Title Case the use the below:-
=PROPER(TEXT(WEEKDAY(A1),"DDDD"))
Result:- Monday

--------------------
(Ms-Exl-Learner)
--------------------

"Patrick Znaty" wrote:

I have a column containing weekdays derived from a date using the weekday
function. If I format these cells with "dddd" I will get monday, tuesday etc.
But I want the weekdays to be Monday, Tuesday etc. Anyway to do this as cell
formatting?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"Patrick Znaty" wrote:

I have a column containing weekdays derived from a date using the weekday
function. If I format these cells with "dddd" I will get monday, tuesday etc.
But I want the weekdays to be Monday, Tuesday etc. Anyway to do this as cell
formatting?

In all of your formulas, the WEEKDAY function is superfluous. It happens to
work, but only in the 1900 date system, because the first date in that system
is a Sunday. However, your formula will return incorrect results if one is
using the 1904 date system.
--ron
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:25:01 -0800, Patrick Znaty
wrote:

I have a column containing weekdays derived from a date using the weekday
function. If I format these cells with "dddd" I will get monday, tuesday etc.
But I want the weekdays to be Monday, Tuesday etc. Anyway to do this as cell
formatting?

No, it cannot be done with cell formatting. It requires an Excel formula, such
as:

=PROPER(TEXT(A1,"dddd"))

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

wrote:

I have a column containing weekdays derived from a date using the weekday
function. If I format these cells with "dddd" I will get monday, tuesday etc.
But I want the weekdays to be Monday, Tuesday etc. Anyway to do this as cell
formatting?

No, it cannot be done with cell formatting. It requires an Excel formula, such
as:

=PROPER(TEXT(A1,"dddd"))

--ron

My comment that this cannot be done with formatting assumes that, as you wrote,
your version of Excel outputs weekdays as lower case.

My versions of Excel (since '97 running on the PC under Windows), outputs them
all as Proper case, which is what you want.
--ron