Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default How to format cell to get first capital letter?

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 07:49:14 -0500, Ron Rosenfeld
wrote:

On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 00:25:01 -0800, Patrick Znaty
wrote:

I have a column containing weekdays derived from a date using the weekday
function. If I format these cells with "dddd" I will get monday, tuesday etc.
But I want the weekdays to be Monday, Tuesday etc. Anyway to do this as cell
formatting?

No, it cannot be done with cell formatting. It requires an Excel formula, such
as:

=PROPER(TEXT(A1,"dddd"))

--ron

My comment that this cannot be done with formatting assumes that, as you wrote,
your version of Excel outputs weekdays as lower case.

My versions of Excel (since '97 running on the PC under Windows), outputs them
all as Proper case, which is what you want.
--ron