Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default need to input alternate blank rows in spreadsheet

Need to input alternate blank rows into imported spreadsheet. Currently has
24000 lines of data and would like to find a way of not having to manually
input these blank rows! help! Also if this is possible will I be able to
format row height at the same time?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi,

In a blank column, insert numbers from 1 to 24,000 I.e. if data is from
A2:F24001, then in G2:G24001, enter 1 to 24000. Now copy G2:G24001 and
paste in G24002. Thereafter you can sort the numbers in column G in
ascending order. This will insert one blank row after each row.

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP
www.ashishmathur.com

"Confused from Hertford" <Confused from
wrote in message ...
Need to input alternate blank rows into imported spreadsheet. Currently
has
24000 lines of data and would like to find a way of not having to manually
input these blank rows! help! Also if this is possible will I be able to
format row height at the same time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

--Insert a temporary column say (ColA)
--In cell A1 enter 1, in A2 enter A2..Autofill upto 24000
--Copy A1:A24000 to A24001:A48000
--Now sort ColA ascending
--Delete ColA

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Confused from Hertford" wrote:

Need to input alternate blank rows into imported spreadsheet. Currently has
24000 lines of data and would like to find a way of not having to manually
input these blank rows! help! Also if this is possible will I be able to
format row height at the same time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This assumes that column A is used in your data. Run this small macro:

Sub RowInserter()
Set r = Cells(1, 1)

n = Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Row
For i = n To 1 Step -1
Cells(i, 1).EntireRow.Insert
Next

Gary''s Student - gsnu200909

"Confused from Hertford" wrote:

Need to input alternate blank rows into imported spreadsheet. Currently has
24000 lines of data and would like to find a way of not having to manually
input these blank rows! help! Also if this is possible will I be able to
format row height at the same time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Fill a simple sequence 1, 2, 3, 4 etc in a blank column next to your
data. Obviously, this will go down to row 24000. Then copy the numbers
in this sequence and paste them directly below, so that you now have
1- 24000 in those rows and 1 - 24000 in rows up to 48000.

Then select all that data down to row 48000 and sort using the helper
column as your sort field. Then you can delete the helper column.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 30, 10:28*am, Confused from Hertford <Confused from
wrote:
Need to input alternate blank rows into imported spreadsheet. *Currently has
24000 lines of data and would like to find a way of not having to manually
input these blank rows! help! *Also if this is possible will I be able to
format row height at the same time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Why do you need alternate blank rows?

This will make it very difficult to sort, filter, copy and other stuff.

If for appearance only, maybe just increase the row height to double?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 02:28:01 -0800, Confused from Hertford <Confused from
wrote:

Need to input alternate blank rows into imported spreadsheet. Currently has
24000 lines of data and would like to find a way of not having to manually
input these blank rows! help! Also if this is possible will I be able to
format row height at the same time?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I need the same thing. What I figured out to do was create a new column and then auto fill 1-10, then underneath autofill 1.1, 2.1, 3.1, etc., and then sort the column and format that column.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

you are a genius thank you