Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Auto fill typing in cells problem

I'd posted this elsewhere, but maybe it should have been submitted to this
forum. I'm trying to enter data into cells, expecting the auto fill feature
to recognize the data if it has been entered in that same column previously.
In the past, Excel would not auto-fill any data in the cell I'm typing in
until I'd reached a point where my data matched exactly only one identical
cell above. Currently, Xcel seems to auto fill in some circumstances but not
others. Are there settings that need to be changed? I've gone to
Tools...Options...Edit...enable auto complete for cell values. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That's the only setting to turn on/off in-cell autocomplete.

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
(www.MadRocketScientist.com)

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"Andmoreagain" wrote:

I'd posted this elsewhere, but maybe it should have been submitted to this
forum. I'm trying to enter data into cells, expecting the auto fill feature
to recognize the data if it has been entered in that same column previously.
In the past, Excel would not auto-fill any data in the cell I'm typing in
until I'd reached a point where my data matched exactly only one identical
cell above. Currently, Xcel seems to auto fill in some circumstances but not
others. Are there settings that need to be changed? I've gone to
Tools...Options...Edit...enable auto complete for cell values. Thanks

Junior Member

Hello,

The issue may be with the data you have in your list. Excel will auto-complete when it has only one unique value that fits your entry. Let's say you have the following list:

cat
dog
bird
snake
snail

If you start to enter in c, then it will auto-complete cat for you. But if you enter in s or sn or sna, it will not finish it since there are still 2 words that both match that critieria. It is not until you enter snak that it will auto-complete snake. So your intermitent problems may be more related to the data in your list than any options in Excel. You may have been using some lists that contain multiple words that were exactly the same except for the last letter.

That would explain your situation. But if not, then I'm not sure what is going on. There is only one option in the Advanced menu item that either turns auto-complete on or off, there are not settings in between.

-Duane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andmoreagain View Post