danowynn

Default COUNTIF functions

I have a spreadsheet listing my project managers names in column A, their
project titles in column B, what time they were submitted in column C, and an
IF function in column D telling me '1' for projects turned in on time, and
'0' for projects turned in late. Off to the side I have the names listed
again in one row, where i plan to show the total ON TIME projects under the
corresponding manager's name. In other words, I am trying to get a total
count, BY NAME, of only the projects turned in on time. I was thinking I
needed to nest an IF function inside a SUM or COUNTIF function but am unable
to get the outcome Im looking for. Any ideas?? Thank you
Marc

=SUMIF($A$6:$A$13,G6,$C$6:$C$13)

You just want to add all the numbers for a given manager... in my formula, I
have the manager names listed in column G...

For all the names in column A, find Manager1, and for all occurrences of
Manager1, add the numbers in column C (for simplicity, I just directly
substituted into column C the values 1 or 0).

Or in your example SUMIF(A1:A50,G1,D1:D50) where G has the manager names...

Worked for me...

Danowynn

This didnt work for me still, its show 0 when the answer should be 4. Just
to recap to make sure Im doing it right - I have the names of 5 program
managers listed in column B, and the 1 or 0 ("on time" or "late" code) in
column I. I have the name "Smith" typed at the end of the spread sheet in
cell H58. SO my equation looked like this:

SUMIF(B5:B25,H58,I5:I25)
-where I had 4 occurances of "1" in rows with "Smith" listed as the manager.
Im using H58 as the cell to reference for the name Im wanting to get a total
for. But its showing 0. I dont think I fully understood your reference to
"Manager1" in you response either.

Am I missing something?!

"Marc" wrote:

=SUMIF($A$6:$A$13,G6,$C$6:$C$13)

You just want to add all the numbers for a given manager... in my formula, I
have the manager names listed in column G...

For all the names in column A, find Manager1, and for all occurrences of
Manager1, add the numbers in column C (for simplicity, I just directly
substituted into column C the values 1 or 0).

Or in your example SUMIF(A1:A50,G1,D1:D50) where G has the manager names...

Worked for me...

Marc

Still works for me... are you sure you don't have any trailing "blanks" or
spaces after the manager names?

I get files all the time from people where they add blank spaces after text
items--drives me insane because you can't do any kind of matching or
lookups.

Make sure "Smith" doesn't have any trailing spaces.

Otherwise, I recreated what you described, and it works for me...

All I meant by Manager1 was a generic name, like Manager2, Manager3,
Manager4, etc...

You might also try the simple case of listing the Manager names in a column,
then in the very next column, without any formulas, enter the "1" or "0",
then try the formula, although I used an IF formula to create a 1 or 0, and
it still worked fine summing on the results of the formula.

Scott Calkins via OfficeKB.com

I had same issue. I think you need to be in the formula cell then hit F-2
then Ctrl-Shift-Enter