Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Fill down conditional formatting series

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Conditional formatting automatically assigns the CF formula to all the cells
within the seleciton. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that
the cell reference B1 mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the
selection. Active cell will have a white background even after selection

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"gootroots" wrote:

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Make sure in the formula you use the cell reference as B1 (relative
referencing) and not as $B$1 (absolute referencing)

Below are the different reference styles.
A1 Relative referencing. Both column and row will change if you copy or drag
the formula.
$A1 The column reference is fixed and will not change
A$1 The row reference is fixed and will not change.
$A$1 Column and row reference are fixed.

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"gootroots" wrote:

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi guys,

Thanks for helping out.

Actually I have made a mistake in my previous post

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=A1=True
=A2=True
=A3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the A1 is still referenced

Sorry for the confusion.

When I examine say B3 the formula references A1

The only value that is true in A1:10 is A1 yet B1:B10 are all formatted with
a fill colour.

Confused!

"gootroots" wrote:

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

1. Select the cell/Range (say B1:B10). Please note that the cell reference B1
mentioned in the formula is the active cell in the selection. Active cell
will have a white background even after selection

2. From menu FormatConditional Formatting
3. For Condition1Select 'Formula Is' and enter the below formula
=A1=TRUE
4. Click Format ButtonPattern and select your color (say Red)
5. Hit OK

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"gootroots" wrote:

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

This would seem to be all simple stuff, but I am baffled.
I am using Excel 2007 and cannot get it to work.

If its kept to its simplest

A1 contains a formula and it has returned a true result

B1 contains a conditional format =A1=True and it is formatted background
Fill with red.

Why am I not getting B1 showing a filled red cell.

"gootroots" wrote:

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Does A1 return the logical value TRUE, or a text string "True"? Perhaps you
can show us the formula?
In B1, do you have =A1=True in CF/ Cell value is, or CF/ Formula is ? It
should be the latter. And you shouldn't need =A1=True; =A1 should do
(assuming that A1 is set to FALSE if not TRUE).
--
David Biddulph

"gootroots" wrote:

This surly is a simple question with a equally simple answer.

B1:B10 require the following formula:

=B1=True
=B2=True
=B3=True
and so on

when I format B1 and fill down the B1 is still referenced

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

I have modified the formula to:

=A1="Apples"

this formula I am pleased to say works and when filled down any cells
containing the value "Apples" are also formatted.

The only problem here is that if there are mixed values in A:A then filling
down the range will not produce the desired formatting result.

A way round that is again a modified formula:

=A1=""

however this formats only empty cells in B:B instead of the cells that
contain a value.

So to be clear B:B contains conditional formatting with A:A being the source
to determine what cells contains a value and which cells do not.

.