Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Index & Match doesn't seem to work

Copied function shown below to new worksheet.
Range name was created (to match)
Table layout is identical to original

TABLE (part of) called Angle_Table

Overhang
Length 6 9 12 15 18 21 24
12 44.9 46.0 47.2 48.4 49.7 51.1 52.5
12.5 42.8 43.8 44.9 46.0 47.2 48.4 49.7
13 45.2 46.3 47.3 48.5 49.6 50.9 52.2
13.5 47.5 48.5 49.6 50.8 51.9 53.2 54.5

=INDEX(LUps_2!Angle_Table,MATCH(E6,INDEX(LUps_2!An gle_Table,,1),0),MATCH(E12,INDEX(LUps_2!Angle_Tabl e,1,),0))

I added the sheet Name (LUps_2) to make sure it would go to the correct W/S,
but originally that was not required.

E6 is where the Length is Specified
E12 is where the Overhang Length is specified.
Result should be the intersect of the two.

Please advise what (simple?) thing I'm overlooking here.
Unforunately, I do not understand what all the "extra" commas are all about.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You dont need to specify the sheet name...If at all you want to specify you
need to specify the workbook name instead of sheetname...as named range is
associated with the workbook and not the worksheet

=INDEX(Angle_Table,MATCH(E6,INDEX(Angle_Table,,1), 0),
MATCH(E12,INDEX(Angle_Table,1,),0))

'You can use VLOOKUP() to return the same result as below
=VLOOKUP(E6,Angle_Table,MATCH(E12,INDEX(Angle_Tabl e,1,),0),0)

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"BEEJAY" wrote:

Copied function shown below to new worksheet.
Range name was created (to match)
Table layout is identical to original

TABLE (part of) called Angle_Table

Overhang
Length 6 9 12 15 18 21 24
12 44.9 46.0 47.2 48.4 49.7 51.1 52.5
12.5 42.8 43.8 44.9 46.0 47.2 48.4 49.7
13 45.2 46.3 47.3 48.5 49.6 50.9 52.2
13.5 47.5 48.5 49.6 50.8 51.9 53.2 54.5

=INDEX(LUps_2!Angle_Table,MATCH(E6,INDEX(LUps_2!An gle_Table,,1),0),MATCH(E12,INDEX(LUps_2!Angle_Tabl e,1,),0))

I added the sheet Name (LUps_2) to make sure it would go to the correct W/S,
but originally that was not required.

E6 is where the Length is Specified
E12 is where the Overhang Length is specified.
Result should be the intersect of the two.

Please advise what (simple?) thing I'm overlooking here.
Unforunately, I do not understand what all the "extra" commas are all about.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Jacob:
Thank-you.
I'll add your sample to my arsenal.
It came up with the same "problem" (which I see now I had not indicated in
my post)
However, Looking at things with a fresh eye this morning, I found my two
cell references were incorrect.
Once corrected, the original and your method worked fine.
Sometimes it pays to spend 3 or 4 hours spinning ones wheels. It helps
re-inforce to check EVERYTHING when something is not working correctly.