Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Why Excel Does not increment by 2 or 3, odd/even numbers?

Hi,
I inserted numbers 1,2 and 3, respectively in three rows. I then
dragged till row 10 and MS-Excel just filled out the rest of the
numbers till 10.
Now, When I inserted odd numbers (1,3 and 5 )and tried to drag till
10, Excel won't fill out the row normally(7,9 and11), rather it
inserted different set of numbers.

Any idea how to make Excel fill out rows with odd/even numbers in an
orderly fashion?

MTIA
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Works OK for me.

A1 = 1
A2 = 3
A3 = 5

Select A1:A3 then drag down as needed

A1 = 2
A2 = 4
A3 = 6

Select A1:A3 and drag down as needed

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"alsaleh" wrote in message
I inserted numbers 1,2 and 3, respectively in three rows. I then
dragged till row 10 and MS-Excel just filled out the rest of the
numbers till 10.
Now, When I inserted odd numbers (1,3 and 5 )and tried to drag till
10, Excel won't fill out the row normally(7,9 and11), rather it
inserted different set of numbers.

Any idea how to make Excel fill out rows with odd/even numbers in an
orderly fashion?

MTIA

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Bliff:

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I meant to say referencing other odd cells.
Example, cells:A1=1, A2=3, A3=3, A4=4 and A5=5.
Now try to reference the odd cells from different column. So, in
column B, I will reference the odd cells of column A:
B1"=A1"
B2="A3"
B3"=A5"

Try to highlight B1:B3 and then drag down till B10. Excel won't fill
out the rest of B cells with the odd A cells, like the first three
cells(B1:B3), it will just creat different set of numbers.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"alsaleh" wrote in message

I inserted numbers 1,2 and 3, respectively in three rows. *I then
dragged till row 10 and MS-Excel just filled out the rest of the
numbers till 10.
Now, When I inserted odd numbers (1,3 and 5 )and tried to drag till
10, Excel won't fill out the row normally(7,9 and11), rather it
inserted different set of numbers.

Any idea how to make Excel fill out rows with odd/even numbers in an
orderly fashion?

MTIA

Valko,

Thanks for your help.

Sorry, I meant to say referencing other odd cells.
Example, cells:A1=1, A2=3, A3=3, A4=4 and A5=5.
Now try to reference the odd cells from different column. So, in
column B, I will reference the odd cells of column A:
B1"=A1"
B2="A3"
B3"=A5"

Try to highlight B1:B3 and then drag down till B10. Excel won't fill
out the rest of B cells with the odd A cells, like the first pattern
( the three
cells(B1:B3)), it will just creat different set of numbers.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

That is how formulas work in Excel.

But, you can get what you want by using this formula in B1

=INDEX(A:A,2*Row(A1)-1)

and copying down.

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

On Sun, 15 Nov 2009 12:26:50 -0500, "T. Valko"
wrote:

Works OK for me.

A1 = 1
A2 = 3
A3 = 5

Select A1:A3 then drag down as needed

A1 = 2
A2 = 4
A3 = 6

Select A1:A3 and drag down as needed

Works fine in both cases here as well.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

"alsaleh" wrote in message

[...]

Hi A.
Another way to do it could be to drag down
=A1
=A3
and note that there is a space in front of the =
That will give
=A5
=A7
and so on, all with spaces in front.

Find/Replace <space with <nothing to finish
Hans T.