Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default multiplying

if I have two columns A and B. A is filled with numbers that I want to
multiply by the same number and have that total fill B. But I want also to be
able to change the number and have all the totals update....how?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Can't be done (without a lot of programming). This is not how Excel is
designed. Spreadsheets have lots of columns. Simply put the result of the
multiplication in column C.

Regards,
Fred.

"wineforyou" wrote in message
if I have two columns A and B. A is filled with numbers that I want to
multiply by the same number and have that total fill B. But I want also to
be
able to change the number and have all the totals update....how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

In B1 enter:

=A1*$C$1

and copy down

In C1, put your multipler. When you change C1, all the products will change.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200908

"wineforyou" wrote:

if I have two columns A and B. A is filled with numbers that I want to
multiply by the same number and have that total fill B. But I want also to be
able to change the number and have all the totals update....how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Gary's Student...Thank you so much but I am just stupid, I cannot get it to
work.
When I enter the calculation into B1, no problem. But there after my copy
down does the calculation where the B2 is now the A2*B1...then A3*B2..in
other words I cannot get it to do the value as a contant..it keeps changing
to the previous B value to multiply times the A cell value. HELP!!!

"wineforyou" wrote:

if I have two columns A and B. A is filled with numbers that I want to
multiply by the same number and have that total fill B. But I want also to be
able to change the number and have all the totals update....how?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Did you specify absolute reference for your multiplier? As you can see iin
Gary's Student formula =A1*$B$1. The $ are important to refer always to the
same cell even if you drag & drop or copy/paste.

Wkr,

JP