Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Raj Raj is offline

Default Sum a range based on another range of cells

I want to sum a range based on another range of cells. I can detail my
problem as follows:

Range: 1
Name Points
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5

Range: 2

Name

My intention is to sum the corresponding values of Range: 2 in Range: 1.

In another words to sum the values corresponding to B, C and E which would
be 10.

The main problem is the second range i.e. Range: 2 may change. I want to
have a solution for this.

Please send to my e-mail ID : if you can solve this.
Please, please and please help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Raj

Try the below formula

A2:B10 is your data
F2:F4 is the range 2

=SUMPRODUCT(SUMIF(A2:A10,F2:F4,B2:B10))

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Raj" wrote:

I want to sum a range based on another range of cells. I can detail my
problem as follows:

Range: 1
Name Points
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5

Range: 2

Name

My intention is to sum the corresponding values of Range: 2 in Range: 1.

In another words to sum the values corresponding to B, C and E which would
be 10.

The main problem is the second range i.e. Range: 2 may change. I want to
have a solution for this.

Please send to my e-mail ID : if you can solve this.
Please, please and please help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Raj Raj is offline

Hi Jacob Skaria,

Thanks, Dude.

It really works. My problem is resolved with your answer.

But one thing I didn't know is that how did you solve this. I cannot get
the formula logic. I thought "Sumif" can be given only for one criteria.
And "Sumproduct" can be used only for multiplication of a range of values to
another range of values. But your answer was simply amazing.

I would be grateful to you for the solution.

And one more request to you, can you please tell me about its working logic
i.e. how does it work with combination of Sumproduct with Sumif. (atleast in
this case)

Hoping that you will reply me with the way it works.

Thankfully,

Raj

"Raj" wrote:

I want to sum a range based on another range of cells. I can detail my
problem as follows:

Range: 1
Name Points
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5

Range: 2

Name

My intention is to sum the corresponding values of Range: 2 in Range: 1.

In another words to sum the values corresponding to B, C and E which would
be 10.

The main problem is the second range i.e. Range: 2 may change. I want to
have a solution for this.

Please send to my e-mail ID : if you can solve this.
Please, please and please help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

--The below formula would return a single result
=SUMIF(A2:A10,F2,B2:B10)

--The below would return a array of values for each value in F1:F3. In this
case 3 results
=SUMIF(A2:A10,F1:F3,B2:B10)

--SUMPRODUCT() adds up the arrray results for you..

If this post helps click Yes
---------------
Jacob Skaria

"Raj" wrote:

I want to sum a range based on another range of cells. I can detail my
problem as follows:

Range: 1
Name Points
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5

Range: 2

Name

My intention is to sum the corresponding values of Range: 2 in Range: 1.

In another words to sum the values corresponding to B, C and E which would
be 10.

The main problem is the second range i.e. Range: 2 may change. I want to
have a solution for this.

Please send to my e-mail ID : if you can solve this.
Please, please and please help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Hi Raj

The below formula would return 1 result
=SUMIF(A2:A10,F2,B2:B10))

The below would return an array of results. In this case 3 results. Array
enter the below formula selecting 3 cells (if the range is F2:F4)
=SUMIF(A2:A10,F2:F4,B2:B10)

'And SUMPRODUCT does the rest..which is to sum the results.

"Raj" wrote:

I want to sum a range based on another range of cells. I can detail my
problem as follows:

Range: 1
Name Points
A 1
B 2
C 3
D 4
E 5

Range: 2

Name

My intention is to sum the corresponding values of Range: 2 in Range: 1.

In another words to sum the values corresponding to B, C and E which would
be 10.

The main problem is the second range i.e. Range: 2 may change. I want to
have a solution for this.

Please send to my e-mail ID : if you can solve this.
Please, please and please help me.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Raj Raj is offline

Hi Jacob Skaria,

Thanks once again for the clarification of my doubt.

Earlier I was not having any logic/working of the formula you provided to
me, even though it was working fine. And hence I was eager to know the way
it works. But I couldnt login to see your post because of some technical
issues, thats why the reply is this much late and I feel sorry for that.

Please dont feel sorry for those multi-posts, its OK.

My doubt is clarified with your answer. Thanks once again.

Thankfully,

Raj