Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Format a Telephone number

I want to format the telephone numbers in my excel file so that all look like
this:
508-567-3992 Eg: ###-###-####
Some have parenthesis around the first 3 digits, some have periods after the
3 digits.
I tried creating a custom type in numbers but I think it needs to be a
formula.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Lee
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

You could use something like:
[Blue](000)_-000-0000
as a custom format. I like the blue because it makes it easier to spot
the failures :)
Note that this format will not like ANY non-digit characters
(including hypens).

On Nov 3, 5:49*pm, LeeE wrote:
I want to format the telephone numbers in my excel file so that all look like
this:
508-567-3992 *Eg: *###-###-####
Some have parenthesis around the first 3 digits, some have periods after the
3 digits.
I tried creating a custom type in numbers but I think it needs to be a
formula.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Lee

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Here is one way...

=TEXT(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE( SUBSTITUTE(A1,"

Hope this helps,

Hutch