Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Weighted grades

In my spread sheet I have an average test grade and an average homework grade
and would like to get an average grade from the two. However I would like
the test grade to have more weight. I think I am supposed to use sumproduct
but I am not sure how. Thank you for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Generally, SUMPRODUCT is used like this to get a weighted average:

=SUMPRODUCT(RangeWithScores,RangeWithWeights)/SUM(RangeWithWeights)

If you just ahve two cells, and make your weights percentages so that they
add up to 100%, then you could use

=Score1*Weight1 + Score2*Weight2

HTH,
Bernie
MS Excel MVP

"Otyokwa" wrote in message
In my spread sheet I have an average test grade and an average homework
grade
and would like to get an average grade from the two. However I would like
the test grade to have more weight. I think I am supposed to use
sumproduct
but I am not sure how. Thank you for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Not enough info.

See if this helps...

A1 = test grade
A2 = homework grade

The test grade accounts for 70% of the average and the homework grade
accounts for 30% of the average

1..60...0.7
2..55...0.3

=SUMPRODUCT(A1:A2,B1:B2)